Neglected by table saw (rust)
(03-26-2019, 06:28 PM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: I used to use a razor blade for rust but found them flimsy and the edge was short lived.  
I now use this that is far more comfortable to use and more durable.

Bob, what do you recommend for rust prevention?
My un airconditioned shop is in hot and humid south Florida.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(03-28-2019, 08:44 PM)Pirate Wrote: Bob, what do you recommend for rust prevention?
My un airconditioned shop is in hot and humid south Florida.

Rust is a natural result of moisture in the air and exposed ferrous surfaces.  All the long term preventative measures I know of involve making the machines unsuitable for their intended purpose.  If there were some wonderful rust-preventing wax or other coating, that's what the Navy would be using.

Either paint the metal or remove the moisture from the air for long term rust prevention.  For the short term, vigilance with oil coatings will address the problem, but usually those coatings will have to be removed before the machine is used to prevent the wood from getting oily.

I wish there was some other way but Nature's relentlessness eventually overcomes our vigilance.
(03-19-2019, 06:01 PM)cputnam Wrote: Wax is not a rust protectant.  Use something designed specifically as a metal rust protector.  CorrosionX, Boeshield, or true synthetic motor oil.  Let it sit and "bake in" for a couple days before you wipe it down - then you can wax it for an easy slide.  JMO & YMWV

Wax is not?
I have used Johnson's paste wax on all my CI table tops and have no rust problems.
The climate around here ( Houston ) is like a swamp in the middle of a steam bath most of the year.
" That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,"

"the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

No, wax is not a rust preventive.  When the metal sweats it still creates condensation under the wax. 

You need way more than a razor blade on that top.

Use a piece of scotch brite under a random orbital sander and WD 40.

Wipe off frequently.  When satisified, clear the top with brake cleaner and apply something like boeshield.
That utility blade is the way to get the stuff off the top first; 3M scotch bright next - I have used 1500 grit sandpaper for final step - with a bit of oil.  I use johnson's wax.  I only have to do this is I have abused the top.  I try my best to wax it a few times a year.  I take a couple days to do all my tools like that.  I also  clean the inside and oil where necessary.  I have old tools but they work just fine.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.