Sliding saw update
After much debate last fall I finally ordered a hammer k3 winner, 48x79. There was a request or 2 for arrival pics so here is the updat. Unit arrived after the first of the year. I did dockpick up so I could inspect it before accepting. All packing was in perfect condition so I had it loaded on to my trailer. Was able to handle the crate with an engine hoist and ceiling mounted 900 lb hoist. Handled the saw on to the base with the ceiling hoist. I put it on a Grizzly bear crawl. Assembly of the tables and fence took some time. Followed the online videos so no issues. Only had to set the rip fence scale. Everything else seemed to be dead on. I made th3 fritz and franz jig first and have done a couple smaller projects so for. I really like the saw the adjustment to different operation methods is not an issue. With3 the f&f jig I don’t rip against th3 rip fence. Here are some pics of the sa2 and jig
Thanks
Gary

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice!!!! I love the smell of new tools in the morning.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-18-2019, 05:27 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Nice!!!! I love the smell of new tools in the morning.

Agreed! Far superior to the smell of napalm.
Winkgrin

Awesome saw, congrats.I had to Google fritz and franz jig---sort of a table saw sled on steroids.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
That's a good looking machine with a lot of possibility.  Congrats.
Thanks for posting that.  If you don't use the rip fence is it even needed?  I would love to have a slider but have space limitations, and would need to get thing down my basement steps, too.  What do you think the "effective" footprint is if the rip fence rails were no wider than the body of the saw?  And how long is the slider on yours?

John
John
I don’t know when I will use the rip fence for rip cuts. As long I can use the f&f jig I will use it for rips. The thing I do use it for is an end stop for tenon cuts and such.
The slide in table is 12” wide x 79 long. It will straight line cut about 82” book says 80” the cast iron top is 16” wide each steel table is 17” wide. They offer a 31” rip but it is more common on their shorter slider 65” I think. My rip is 48”. You can order with the 31. The over all foot print length is 14’ full travel each way if you ran the 31 wide the slide and table would be about 48 wide They have 2 crosscut fences, the one in the pics is 52” left of blade. They offer a 31 also. I find that you don’t need a lot of room at each end of the saw because you just slide the table out of the way to get around it. Hope this makes sense
Gary
(03-18-2019, 08:38 PM)garmar60 Wrote: John
I don’t know when I will use the rip fence for rip cuts. As long I can use the f&f jig I will use it for rips. The thing I do use it for is an end stop for tenon cuts and such.
The slide in table is 12” wide x 79 long. It will straight line cut about 82” book says 80”  the cast iron top is 16” wide  each steel table is 17” wide. They offer a 31” rip but it is more common on their shorter slider 65” I think. My rip is 48”. You can order with the 31.  The over all foot print length is 14’ full travel each way  if you ran the 31 wide the slide and table would be about 48 wide   They have 2 crosscut fences,  the one in the pics is 52” left of blade. They offer a 31 also.  I find that you don’t need a lot of room at each end of the saw because you just slide the table out of the way to get around it.  Hope this makes sense
Gary

Thanks very much Gary.  That's a little less footprint than I was expecting but 14' clear is still a big chunk for my shop.  Ripping makes so much sense on the slider; I doubt I would need any more than the 31" rip fence rails.  

What made you decide on Hammer over MiniMax?  

John
John
I considered the Minimax sc 2c and 3c. The 2c won’t take a dado blade and it only has a 65” slide, like the grizz. I think it’s too short. The 3c has about a 100” slide and takes about 17ft. I felt like it would be too big in the shop. The hammer 79” was a good in between. I was also very concerned with shipping damage and support if there was a shipping issue. Minimax seamed like they were going through some issues with this. I felt like felder had a better chance of a good delivery. I was really concerned about getting stuck with a damaged saw. The last part of the decision was the felder year end sale. They dropped the price about 20%
Thanks
Gary
(03-20-2019, 08:50 PM)garmar60 Wrote: John
I considered the Minimax sc 2c and 3c. The 2c won’t take a dado blade and it only has a 65” slide, like the grizz. I think it’s too short. The 3c has about a 100” slide and takes about 17ft. I felt like it would be too big in the shop. The hammer 79” was a good in between.  I was also very concerned with shipping damage and support if there was a shipping issue.  Minimax seamed like they were going through some issues with this.  I felt like felder had a better chance of a good delivery.  I was really concerned about getting stuck with a damaged saw. The last part of the decision was the felder year end sale. They dropped the price about 20%
Thanks
Gary

Gary, I think you were right to be concerned with respect to how MiniMax has handled shipping related damage over the past year or so.  I feel MiniMax is slightly heavier built than a comparable Hammer, but that's only part of the purchase decision.  And that 20% discount by Hammer was a great incentive, I'm sure.  I'm sure you are going to like that saw, and you have me looking at Craigslist more frequently for a good used slider.  

I'm interested in your review of the saw in a few months, after you have had a chance to use it on a few projects.  

John
I have the same slider. If you did not have a router table, I would have suggested doing as I did ... although you may still want to make this mod ...

I added a panel here:

[Image: router-space1.jpg]

[Image: 2a.jpg]

[Image: 4a.jpg]

I also built a jig for mitres ...

[Image: 1a.jpg]

[Image: 2a.jpg]

Lastly, I added a Wixey to the rip fence (which is used along with a F&F jig) ..

[Image: 1a.jpg]

Fritz and Franz ...

[Image: 10a.jpg]

Let me know if you want more details.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com