Pella Window weather stripping?
Our Pella double hung windows are getting to the point where new weather stripping would be beneficial. These windows are 34 years old. Has anyone here had experience redoing these windows?
(03-18-2019, 08:07 PM)Woodtourer Wrote: Our Pella double hung windows are getting to the point where new weather stripping would be beneficial. These windows are 34 years old. Has anyone here had experience redoing these windows?

Not sure which Pella double hungs you have but usually Pella parts need to be purchased through a Pella dealer. I've installed more Pella windows than any other. They have some advantages over others for installation.

Lowes is a Pella dealer but can only buy parts for the window line they sold. I do buy parts from them. You'll have to go in to the millwor department to order the parts. It usually takes about 2 weeks to get the parts. Judging by the age of your windows, they were probably Pella Pro-Line or Pro-Line Plus windows. That window was replaced by the Pella 450 series (still sold at Lowes). They are almost identical windows. I say "almost" because Pella was sued in a class action suit. The older Pro-Line window leaked at the bottom near the sill and the sills rotted out. Not all, but some. The 450 series were changed to fix that problem and Pella dropped the Pro-Line name.

If Lowes can't order your parts, you'll have to go to a Pella dealer.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

They are ,as recall, Designer series.
I called Pella and they put me in touch with a service center near me.  The guy I talked to knew what parts I would need You need the numbers that are printed on the glass.
Schlegel invented the weather stripping we use on windows and doors.  They are still reputed to be the best and all the high tier window manufacturers buy from them.  

Look through their catalog and then ask where you can get the appropriate weather strip.

http://www.schlegel.com/media/downloads/...356542.pdf

Note:  The download is from Europe.  You will have to contact the USA distributor.  I believe that Schlegel was originally from Germany.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-18-2019, 08:07 PM)Woodtourer Wrote: Our Pella double hung windows are getting to the point where new weather stripping would be beneficial. These windows are 34 years old. Has anyone here had experience redoing these windows?

I have been a registered architect for over 34 years here in Mississippi.  I have specified Pella Windows on many projects and had them installed in both of my houses.  I 've really enjoyed their shades between the window panes, but this is where my endorsement ends.  Here in Mississippi and in other parts of the country there has been multiple cases where Pella windows have rotted out over the course of 10-20 years, albeit nothing lasts for ever.   I'm not sure this is a weather stripping issue or not.  I have replaced one unit in my garage that rotted out and now I am having condensation issues between the panes of glass on a couple other units.  This condensation will seep to the window sill and rot the sill in a matter of a couple of months.  I know these condensation issues are due to weather stripping which has become less elastic and no longer seals.  With all these issues along with our local Pella store going out of business both here in Jackson, MS and recently we heard in Baton Rouge, we no longer specify Pella because of their track record with rot issues.   I'm not on a rant here, because it still is a quality product, a bit overpriced on my opinon, but not providing the longevity for what you pay for.  

That being said, obviously you must clean and maintain all windows in your house on a regular basis, to extend life, clean, oil wearing surfaces, etc.   You might contact Pella and ask if they can provide new weather striping for your window units.  I would guess if a certified Pella repair man makes a visit to you house, it would be pricey.   Since you are posting here, obviously your a woodworking savvy person who might be able to handle this project on you own if you can buy the parts from Pella.

Good Luck!
Eric