Clamps
(03-19-2019, 08:16 PM)oakey Wrote: i have two of the china jorgenson's with rubber/plastic  hand grips
when they were transitioning from the USA manufacturing  to china   Menard's had some terrific sales on them
I have  lots of the USA  made with the wood handles
i like the newer ones better much easier for my old arthritic hands
they look like they are as good a quality as the originals time will tell
i have a few older  Bessy parallels also i do not think you can go wrong with them

Dip the handles in Plasti-dip could fix that issue for you.

Also the latest Revos have a 1/4" socket for a wrench built in.

I personally hate the China Jorgy copy - the heads are not parallel. I have read folks are clamping them parallel. Never had that issue on my USA jorgys or any of the Kbody or Revos from Bessey.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Bessey also makes a lightweight parallel style clamp called the UNIKlamp. (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bessey+unikla...xhqov8cc_e). They are a lightweight version of Bessey's big parallel K body clamps. I have a bunch of them and use them interchangeably with F style clamps. I like them a lot better that the F style ones because their clamping surface is a lot bigger than the little round pads on the F clamps and they don't mar the workpiece nearly as bad. They don't have the clamping power the big K bodies have, but I don't use them where I need that kind of pressure. I find them to be great, lightweight, general duty clamps.
Mike
Mine are very close to being parallel
I bought them not realizing they were not real Jorgensen
I make a effort to buy stuff made in USA
Some times that is impossible
Today I also would buy the bessys not that I need any more clamps
I think I'm leaning toward the Bessey clamps. If I buy them from Amazon, how do I know they are made in the USA?

Bill
I have the old Bessey clamps, the Bessey Revo, and the Jet clamps. The Jet trigger release seemed like a great idea, but in the long run they are the least convenient. The original Bessey model work well,, but the handles seem small compared to newer models. My first choice is the Bessey Revo with a nice handle and the smoothest threads. The Bessey Revos say Pat. Pending. Did they ever get a patent?

--
See ya later,
Bill
(03-21-2019, 07:23 AM)gt64155a Wrote: I think I'm leaning toward the Bessey clamps. If I buy them from Amazon, how do I know they are made in the USA?

Bill

Just a heads up on Bessey's....I ordered a couple 18" Revo's a few months ago and the fixed head of the clamp was installed a couple degrees out of line with the bar.  I got these through Rockler.  I was sent out two additional sets and all three pairs had the same issue.

Now I do have to say kudo's to Rockler and Bessey's customer service.  They both made things right and I was well taken care of for my troubles. 

Bessey said they had new equipment and had a run of clamps that slipped through QC and had this issue.

Hands down though, Bessey Revo's are my favorite clamps.  I've got them from the first generation up through the latest version of the Revo.
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
For me? Universal aluminum bar clamps. Lightweight, easy to maneuver into place and produce more than sufficient clamping pressure.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Tony Z has a good point. I have used Bessey K Body clamps for years and they are really excellent clamps. I haven't used any of the Revos, but I assume they are wonderful too. One thing they have in common is that they are HEAVY. I recently bought a couple of universal aluminum bar clamps on recommendations from several woodworking friends. They are fantastic for basic glue-ups. They are light weight and a dream to handle, and they are capable of exerting plenty of force for ordinary glue-ups. I'm going to get some more of them. You might want to consider adding several to your list. Here's a link to them in the Lee Valley catalog:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.as...at=1,43838

They are available elsewhere.
(03-21-2019, 07:23 AM)gt64155a Wrote: I think I'm leaning toward the Bessey clamps. If I buy them from Amazon, how do I know they are made in the USA?

Bill

I don't think they will be. Most of their stuff is made in Germany. But with Amazon, you have easy returns if you're not happy. Watch to see if you're buying from a third party vendor though. I have the K body and Revos and can't find any markings on them as to origin. Mine are German, and it's possible the tag on them may have said where they were made...but I'm not sure.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Paul Sellers does a nice retrofit on those cheap Harbor Freight parallel clamps. https://youtu.be/AyKiGmRq3wY