Stu's news
Here's Stu's latest words on his upcoming move from Japan, and a bit about the tools he has left to sell.  The big news for us is that he will still continue to handle special orders.

Stu's Tools
Skip

Thanks for the update. Glad to see that he will still be selling stones
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
It isn't clear to me from his departing words whether he is "for" or "against" buying a set of chisels.

Simon
(03-19-2019, 06:08 PM)cputnam Wrote: Thanks for the update.  Glad to see that he will still be selling stones

(03-19-2019, 06:14 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: It isn't clear to me from his departing words whether he is "for" or "against" buying a set of chisels.

Simon

I was looking at chisels--all 15% discounted--but when I returned to the store and opened "chisels" none were available. I saw none with any warning earlier....

I have too many chisels and don't want to start on Japanese pull planes, so will lie low for a while.

It hurts to see Stu basically close shop. He was my one respected authority on Japanese tools.
(03-19-2019, 09:53 PM)hbmcc Wrote: It hurts to see Stu basically close shop. He was my one respected authority on Japanese tools.

Nodding to this.
(03-19-2019, 09:53 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I was looking at chisels--all 15% discounted--but when I returned to the store and opened "chisels" none were available. I saw none with any warning earlier....

I have too many chisels and don't want to start on Japanese pull planes, so will lie low for a while.

It hurts to see Stu basically close shop. He was my one respected authority on Japanese tools.
Hello Bruce;

If you look on Stu's website he has a note that he's out of chisels....
Skip

Got another email from Stu... well I sent him one and he replied.

He's in the middle of moving to Australia, and kinda busy at the moment.

And, he's a little bit less bent out of shape now.....

His exact words were:

The store will continue in the future, not for a while though, and will be adjusted so that folks who 'get it' will be happy they can still get things how we've always done and those who can't work it out will either be chased off or end up being forced to 'get it' and without much angst towards me.

I suspect that we will hear from him again before the year is out...

Need to reply to his email....
Skip

[quote pid='7733735' dateline='1553282207']

The store will continue in the future, not for a while though, and will be adjusted so that folks who 'get it' will be happy they can still get things how we've always done and those who can't work it out will either be chased off or end up being forced to 'get it' and without much angst towards me.

[/quote]
As the store owner, he can dictate whatever terms and conditions his customers have to work with him.

As a consumer, I won't allow any vendor or merchant to chase me off or to force me to accept anything I don't want to live with. We are not talking about life and death here, or a monopoly situation where there are no alternatives.

Simon
(03-22-2019, 02:39 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: [quote pid='7733735' dateline='1553282207']
As the store owner, he can dictate whatever terms and conditions his customers have to work with him.

As a consumer, I won't allow any vendor or merchant to chase me off or to force me to accept anything I don't want to live with. We are not talking about life and death here, or a monopoly situation where there are no alternatives.

Simon
[/quote]

Hello Simon;

Interesting attitude you have there... I'll pass that along to him...  While he can't enforce a monopoly on anybody, it would be a tremendous chore for you to get yourself up and over to Japan and make these arrangements for yourself.... you mite want to think on that a little bit.
Skip

Hello Simon;

Interesting attitude you have there... I'll pass that along to him...  While he can't enforce a monopoly on anybody, it would be a tremendous chore for you to get yourself up and over to Japan and make these arrangements for yourself.... you mite want to think on that a little bit.
[/quote]

All my Japanese tools (not a lot, of course, and they are not junk quality) came to my shop without me ever stepping foot in Japan. 

This is 21st century, and online shopping is for anyone to explore. I am not endorsing the following which is just one example of where people can find Japanese tools: https://www.jindaiko-honpo.jp/shop/products/detail/11

Nor am I telling people not to do business with Stu who sounds like a decent businessman with some bad customer experience to me.

Simon