Oliver is not Oliver
The Oliver machinery company that sells imported machinery under the Oliver name, isn't really the same Company we older woodworkers think of when we dream about how machines used to be made. That Company is....

http://www.eaglemachinery-repair.com/
Now where is that chisel
Is this a misplaced response to a post? Just seems like an odd topic.

Everyone with half a woodworking brain knows they are far from the old Oliver.
My Oliver table saw was actually made in California by Davis and Wells. So there is that. Working their way there.
China that is. 
Smirk

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(03-21-2019, 03:51 PM)cvillewood Wrote: Is this a misplaced response to a post?  Just seems like an odd topic.

Everyone with half a woodworking brain knows they are far from the old Oliver.

DeWalt and Porter Cable are now owned by Stanley Black and Decker. There are folks who are not aware of that.
But we’re talking Oliver. Looking at the new Oliver, they have no resemblance to the old Oliver. Maybe I’m sensitive because I have an Oliver machine, the real Oliver!
(03-22-2019, 06:45 AM)cvillewood Wrote: But we’re talking Oliver. Looking at the new Oliver, they have no resemblance to the old Oliver.  Maybe I’m sensitive because I have an Oliver machine, the real Oliver!

Understood. Folks who own/use original tools know those 'Old Iron' tools are much better than the new crap.

The only old iron I have is a slide hammer nail puller(cast iron) that is probably older than I am. I've put it up against newer models(shaped steel) and there is no comparison. But, the new ones work well enough for their owners to be satisfied---even when they do not know the joy of original.
Wink
Big Grin
(03-22-2019, 01:03 AM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: DeWalt and Porter Cable are now owned by Stanley Black and Decker. There are folks who are not aware of that.

Not much excuse for that. Dewalt has been owned by Black and Decker for nearly 60 years, that's far more years  than they operated under their own name. DeWalt has been B&D's high end, professional line of tools since the early-mid 90's. That was about the beginning for the yellow corded/cordless tools.

Porter cable has only been since about 05
(03-23-2019, 08:14 AM)iamrfixit1966 Wrote: Not much excuse for that. Dewalt has been owned by Black and Decker for nearly 60 years, that's far more years  than they operated under their own name. DeWalt has been B&D's high end, professional line of tools since the early-mid 90's. That was about the beginning for the yellow corded/cordless tools.

Porter cable has only been since about 05

Actually Porter Cable was started in the early 1900's and was purchased by Rockwell Manufacturing in the early 1960's and then Pentair in the early 1980's.   I purchased a PC router and orbital sander in 1986, which by the way are still working great.  

Greg
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
(03-23-2019, 09:26 AM)gregr Wrote: Actually Porter Cable was started in the early 1900's and was purchased by Rockwell Manufacturing in the early 1960's and then Pentair in the early 1980's.   I purchased a PC router and orbital sander in 1986, which by the way are still working great.  

Greg

Yes, I meant only been owned by B&D since 05.

I have several PC routers and a belt sander from the 90's, nice tools back then. Had two of their 19.2 cordless drills but haven't had a good battery for many years, still got one drill around somewhere.
(03-23-2019, 12:36 PM)iamrfixit1966 Wrote: Yes, I meant only been owned by B&D since 05.

I have several PC routers and a belt sander from the 90's, nice tools back then. Had two of their 19.2 cordless drills but haven't had a  good battery for many years, still got one drill around somewhere.

My oldest router is a Stanley 5/8 hp that came with a set up for door planning kit. This has a spiral cutter similar to the PC door planer. I bought it around 1965 for $5.00 from a lady that just wanted to get rid of her husbands tools, and husband too. Then I bought a PC either a 3/4 or 1 hp router that I still use today. I think it is the 690 . I bought the 3HP router for table use in the 80's. This is a 5 speed router.