Oliver is not Oliver
(03-23-2019, 08:14 AM)iamrfixit1966 Wrote: Not much excuse for that. Dewalt has been owned by Black and Decker for nearly 60 years, that's far more years  than they operated under their own name. DeWalt has been B&D's high end, professional line of tools since the early-mid 90's. That was about the beginning for the yellow corded/cordless tools.

Porter cable has only been since about 05

One of the smartest thing B&D ever did was rename the B&D Commercial line DeWalt and put them in yellow cases. They were the same tools as the Craftsman Industrial line. Both had poor reputations although in my experience were pretty darn good. Once the cases were changed to yellow, the DeWalts were suddenly the talk of the town.

Marketing trumps quality almost every time.

--
See ya later,
Bill
(03-21-2019, 03:51 PM)cvillewood Wrote: Is this a misplaced response to a post?  Just seems like an odd topic.

Everyone with half a woodworking brain knows they are far from the old Oliver.

New member with 6 posts, has posted a link, an advertising link.
He/she is just a spammer, getting paid for what they post.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-22-2019, 01:03 AM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: DeWalt and Porter Cable are now owned by Stanley Black and Decker. There are folks who are not aware of that.

Yes, and when that happened, they immediately went to china for almost all of their tools.
Now where is that chisel
(03-25-2019, 02:48 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: New member with 6 posts, has posted a link, an advertising link.
He/she is just a spammer, getting paid for what they post.

DEAD WRONG. Keep your comments to yourself.
Now where is that chisel
(03-22-2019, 06:45 AM)cvillewood Wrote: But we’re talking Oliver. Looking at the new Oliver, they have no resemblance to the old Oliver.  Maybe I’m sensitive because I have an Oliver machine, the real Oliver!

I ordered one of Oliver's new edge sanders.....still waiting for it to get here. Looks very similar to the Bailiegh.
Now where is that chisel
(03-27-2019, 01:38 PM)Smashedfinger Wrote: DEAD WRONG. Keep your comments to yourself.

You must have smashed your finger
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Looks similar because it was likely made at the same factory as the other ones. Just painted a different color.
(03-27-2019, 01:37 PM)Smashedfinger Wrote: Yes, and when that happened, they immediately went to china for almost all of their tools.

Doubt that any of the B&D-Dewalt tools were being made in China in 1960's, 70's or even 80's. In fact several tools in the Dewalt line are still produced in the USA and even more production has been moved back to the USA in the last few years. Of course most all brands are global these days and produced from parts made all over the world.
I have a new Edge sander with the Oliver label on it. Quality is good for an import but still not over engineered like the old Oliver shaper and jointer I used to have.
Now where is that chisel
China actually has the ability to make top notch stuff. I just wonder why so little of it is sold here?