close quarter drills
Hey Guys. I just burned up another drill working on a bowl. I blow them out often but they don't hold up well. Bearings out of this one.
I wonder what you guys use. I have an old Souix that I had the bearings replaced in but its my backup. Been getting the cheap ones because bowl sanding is so hard on them.  I need to replace it so looking for reccomendations
I have the Milwaukee and it has served me will for maybe 10 years.  Yes it is not cheap, but if it died today, I'd get another.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
You had a drill that sanded bowls for 10 years?????
I been debating getting one of those but was afraid it wouldn't hold up
I use the harbor freight one and with the 20% coupon it’s about 30 bucks. It’s cheap enough that when it dies I get another.
Don
Mike

I got this one 8 years ago and still running strong after all the abuse for the guys.

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/tz20000/

It has a reverse switch as well if you put your lathe in reverse to sand it will help the bearings as well.  Just one question tho how fast do you sand at while using the sander??

I do not go over 600rpm just because it is hard on the sander and sand paper and mandrel which holds the Velcro will come off when it gets to warm.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-22-2019, 02:32 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Mike

I got this one 8 years ago and still running strong after all the abuse for the guys.

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/tz20000/

It has a reverse switch as well if you put your lathe in reverse to sand it will help the bearings as well.  Just one question tho how fast do you sand at while using the sander??

I do not go over 600rpm just because it is hard on the sander and sand paper and mandrel which holds the Velcro will come off when it gets to warm.

I sand slowest speed the Nova goes
. No more than I get to turn I have been through 4 sanders already.
thats not a bad price at all
(03-22-2019, 08:20 AM)PVW Wrote: Hey Guys. I just burned up another drill working on a bowl. I blow them out often but they don't hold up well. Bearings out of this one.
I wonder what you guys use. I have an old Souix that I had the bearings replaced in but its my backup. Been getting the cheap ones because bowl sanding is so hard on them.  I need to replace it so looking for reccomendations

Consider a flex shaft, as I use.  The handpiece can be supported on the toolrest, with the paper barely hitting the surface, and no fatigue to your arm from holding weight at length, where you might increase sanding pressure simply to support and rest your arm.  

I power mine with a 1725 washing machine motor.  I know that folklore says not to use high rpm, but since friction-developed heat  depends on grit and pressure, according to my Physics class, it's never been a problem. I consider it more convenient when sanding pieces off the lathe than a drill, as well.  The wet - turned warp and go pieces can be held in my lap, or the handle clamped in a vice for effective sanding with no danger of hooking the mandrel on an interrupted edge.  

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/Prod...075122.jpg

No cooling fan to suck up grit, either.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I use the harbor freight ones. For the price they work well for me. On the second one but had the first for a long time. I do not press very hard. Let the sandpaper do the work.
(03-22-2019, 03:51 PM)PVW Wrote: I sand slowest speed the Nova goes
. No more than I get to turn I have been through 4 sanders already.
thats not a bad price at all

Well it looks like you are doing everything right so maybe just a sander change or like MM has.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Another happy Milwaukee user.  The full trigger takes a little getting used to, but it's very comfortable.  I went through 2 cheepos before I got the Milwaukee.