Trigger squeezed - rounds headed downrange
G0513 will be here Thu or Fri.

Operating on the assumption that the stock blade will not long survive my learning curve and that it will not be optimal for my major expected use, which is long rips, I would appreciate suggestions for a rip blade. I'll tackle resaw later in the game after I've built some confidence.

Upon reflection, I guess ripping 4/4 stock is about the same as resawing in terms of blade desiderata. I might to wait a bit before acquiring a resaw king, so what is the next step below it?

TIA - and yes, pics will be forthcoming
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Congrats; I'm sure you will really like that saw.  You don't need to spend much money on a ripping blade for 4/4 stock, or thicker for that matter.  The Lennox Flex Back Carbon Steel blade in 3/4" x 3 or 4 tpi would be a really good, low cost choice, around $25 for your saw.  If you want longer life and something for more general use, you could get a bi-metal blade, the Diemaster 2, 1/2" x 3 or 4 tpi would be a good choice and cost about $50.  You could easily resaw 10" stock with either blade; I used to cut veneer with a Diemaster 2, 1/2" x 3 tpi on my little 14" Delta.  It would be infinitely faster on your new saw.  

John
(03-22-2019, 07:09 PM)cputnam Wrote: G0513 will be here Thu or Fri.

Operating on the assumption that the stock blade will not long survive my learning curve and that it will not be optimal for my major expected use, which is long rips, I would appreciate suggestions for a rip blade.  I'll tackle resaw later in the game after I've built some confidence.

Upon reflection, I guess ripping 4/4 stock is about the same as resawing in terms of blade desiderata.  I might to wait a bit before acquiring a resaw king, so what is the next step below it?

TIA - and yes, pics will be forthcoming

Great choice!

I'd seriously consider A 3/4" resaw king
Peter

My "day job"
The Lenox Dimaster blades really strike a good balance of long life and affordable cost.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Putnam,  congrats on your choice.   I agree with Peter on the Resaw King, which is what I have on my GO513x , though I think I have the 1/2 " wide version,  but I also agree with your idea to start with something less expensive.  I have seen others recommend the Diemaster, though I have not had much success with that blade, I bought two of them from different sellers, but I found that it dulled quite quickly,  but YMMV.
(03-23-2019, 07:09 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Putnam,  congrats on your choice.   I agree with Peter on the Resaw King, which is what I have on my GO513x , though I think I have the 1/2 " wide version,  but I also agree with your idea to start with something less expensive.  I have seen others recommend the Diemaster, though I have not had much success with that blade, I bought two of them from different sellers, but I found that it dulled quite quickly,  but YMMV.

Truthfully, I have to agree with you about the Diemaster 2.  It does last longer than a carbon steel blade, so in that regard it's better, but the ones I've used didn't last anywhere near 6X longer as some companies claim.  And to be completely honest, the Woodmaster CT I had on my big Grizzly started to get dull, too, after, I'm guessing here, slicing 500 sf of veneer, but then it broke so I don't know how much longer it would have gone before needing to be resharpened.  The Woodmaster CT is the fastest, smoothest cutting blade I've ever used, though, an almost unbelievable combination.  After it broke and Spectrum Supply would give me no compensation despite the break occurring at their faulty weld (so beware their low prices) I've been using cheap carbon steel blades on that saw.  They don't cut as fast or as smoothly, but the cut quality is still plenty good, even for slicing veneer, and I can resharpen them myself.  I might someday spring for another carbide blade just for cutting veneer, but it's certainly not a must have unless you cut a lot of exotics.  

For anyone with a Woodmaster CT that needs to be resharpened, Connecticut Tool and Saw can do it.  They also sell Lennox blades.  

John