Magnetic Start help
Question 
My Magnetic Starter for my 5 hp planer doesn't want to shut off easily. Start works fine, But I have to push hard to get it to shut off.
do I need to replace something?  buy a new one?

Thanks, Don

[Image: magstarter.jpg]
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(03-24-2019, 12:03 PM)Woodshop Wrote: My Magnetic Starter for my 5 hp planer doesn't want to shut off easily. Start works fine, But I have to push hard to get it to shut off.
do I need to replace something?  buy a new one?

Thanks, Don

[Image: magstarter.jpg]

If the start stop buttons are on the cover of the magnetic starter and not remote see what they actually  push on the starter and using a wood dowel rod  (to prevent shock) and see if both buttons work properly from there.   If they do check the buttons operation to see if sawdust is behind the stop button or broken or worn parts.   If the cover was not mounted properly or just loose is another possibility.       If it does not work properly with the cover off it could be the actual stop switch which is normally closed or the contactor itself hanging up.    Roly
(03-24-2019, 01:35 PM)Roly Wrote: If the start stop buttons are on the cover of the magnetic starter and not remote see what they actually  push on the starter and using a wood dowel rod  (to prevent shock) and see if both buttons work properly from there.   If they do check the buttons operation to see if sawdust is behind the stop button or broken or worn parts.     Roly

You were right.
Yes it was simply a rubber boot behind the outer button that fell apart, not allowing the button to move all the way in. darn cheep parts, was only in there since 1989
Laugh
It is like new inside so it was doing it's job,  now where do I find a replacement?

Thank you Roly
Yes
Don's woodshop
Looks like a  starter that Grizzly uses, you may contact them but I have doubts if they stock the cover parts, maybe the whole cover.   Can you repair it or make one ?   Roly
(03-24-2019, 04:31 PM)Roly Wrote: Looks like a  starter that Grizzly uses, you may contact them but I have doubts if they stock the cover parts, maybe the whole cover.   Can you repair it or make one ?   Roly

yes grizzly, I will check but I doubt it too
Don's woodshop
New one is about 60 bucks
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

The contacts could be starting to arc weld together.  Contacts in an import starter are tiny compared to NEMA contacts.  The inrush current of a 5 HP motor is significant.
Disconnecting contacts actually arc more than when the contacts slam together.  Asian import starters are usually cheaper than a set of contacts for a NEMA grade starter so if things don't work out and you're considering  shiny from China then keep the predicted durability in mind.  Good NEMA starters that will hold up with that motor will be above $400.00 new.  You can pick up a used one on eBay for significantly less but those starters will likely require some homework before buying.
(03-26-2019, 06:15 PM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: The contacts could be starting to arc weld together.  Contacts in an import starter are tiny compared to NEMA contacts.  The inrush current of a 5 HP motor is significant.
Disconnecting contacts actually arc more than when the contacts slam together.  Asian import starters are usually cheaper than a set of contacts for a NEMA grade starter so if things don't work out and you're considering  shiny from China then keep the predicted durability in mind.  Good NEMA starters that will hold up with that motor will be above $400.00 new.  You can pick up a used one on eBay for significantly less but those starters will likely require some homework before buying.

The problem is solved, It was a rubber boot/seal behind the outer red stop button that had fallen apart and jammed behind the button. I removed it and it works fine now but has no seal.
Don's woodshop