next set of experiments in leather covers for holdfasts/holddowns
I like the idea of being able to remove the leather if nessisary but here are two experimental designs I will use for a project or two.  one comes off easily enough but should not fall off.  the other would have to be cut off.

Attached Files Image(s)

I like it! I'm not sure why you'd need to remove the leather cover--unless it wore out. But it's a very nice concept. They look better than the pads I glued onto mine, certainly.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(03-24-2019, 06:23 PM)mongo Wrote: I like the idea of being able to remove the leather if nessisary but here are two experimental designs I will use for a project or two.  one comes off easily enough but should not fall off.  the other would have to be cut off.

I like them too!

One thought on the left side option ...

If you modified it slightly to use 2 zip-ties instead of the last couple stitches, you could make it "removable" and semi permanent
Smile

-Brian

PS:  Thanks for sharing!
Reminds me of the tea cozy we use on our proper English tea pot.
Idea: lets call it a "Holdfast Cozy" !!!
Nice lookin booties you've made there.
Smile
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-25-2019, 12:25 PM)BpB123 Wrote: I like them too!

One thought on the left side option ...

If you modified it slightly to use 2 zip-ties instead of the last couple stitches, you could make it "removable" and semi permanent
Smile

-Brian

PS:  Thanks for sharing!

Have to think on that, thanks for the suggestion.
(03-25-2019, 08:31 AM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: I like it!  I'm not sure why you'd need to remove the leather cover--unless it wore out.  But it's a very nice concept.  They look better than the pads I glued onto mine, certainly.

On the occasion I am clamping something dirtier than clean wood I like to have something cleanable. I have 2 sets of gramercy clamps, one with and one without leather pads for this reason. Though perhaps I am just overthinking and engineering this.
(03-25-2019, 09:03 PM)mongo Wrote: On the occasion I am clamping something dirtier than clean wood I like to have something cleanable. I have 2 sets of gramercy clamps, one with and one without leather pads for this reason. Though perhaps I am just overthinking and engineering this.

Makes sense.  Nothing wrong with experimenting!  

I do often find that I need to run my hand underneath the pads on my holdfasts to make sure they haven't picked up any chips from the benchtop.  More than once, I've released a holdfast only to find that I've inadvertently used it to dent my workpiece with a big ol' chip.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I just adhesively bond a pad to the foot of my holdfasts. Easy to remove and scrape off the residue if it needs to be replaced. I use RTV as an adhesive. Super glue is too hard. It'll bond better if you lightly sand the foot with 220 grit paper prior to attaching the pad.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill