Freud bearing guided mortising bit -why on earth is the bearing larger??
I have a bunch of mortises to cut for non rectangular hinges. (think Butler Tray style)

Made myself a perfect template out of 1/2" MDF and then realized I needed a very short bearing guided bit to route the shallow mortises. 
Picked up this guy at the local Woodcraft:

https://www.amazon.com/Freud-Dia-Mortisi...B000BV7RC2

Came home and fired it up on a piece of scrap and to my surprise, the bearing is NOT inline with the cutter! The mortise it routed was at least 1/16" smaller than my pattern. 

I must be ignorant of something.. Why on earth would a bearing guided bit like this not have the bearing exactly inline with the cutter? My template which fits the hinges perfectly is useless with this bit.

Ended up using my template and a larger bearing guided pattern bit to make a much thicker template so that I could use my much longer bit to cut the shallow mortises and that all worked fine, but what a PITA. 

I feel like this new bit is useless as a pattern cutting bit. Very curious to know what I'm missing here, why it's offset. There must be a reason?

Attached Files Image(s)

If you listen to the podcast FINE WOODWORKING'S SHOP TALK LIVE #183 (free on iTunes and elsewhere) you'll hear the host, Ben Strano, rant about this very subject.  I don't think the panel of experts  came to a conclusion about why manufacturers offer such a bit.
(03-25-2019, 09:51 AM)Ohio Mike Wrote: If you listen to the podcast FINE WOODWORKING'S SHOP TALK LIVE #183 (free on iTunes and elsewhere) you'll hear the host, Ben Strano, rant about this very subject.  I don't think the panel of experts  came to a conclusion about why manufacturers offer such a bit.

wow ok so it's not just me!

edit: Listened to that pod-cast. So funny. My experience exactly! "I hate this bit"...

Can I replace the bearing with a 1/2" bearing?
(03-25-2019, 07:55 AM)mound Wrote:  My template which fits the hinges perfectly is useless with this bit.

Yeah, I'm not sure of the purpose for that bit...

Either way, you bought the wrong bit for your template or incorrectly made the template for the bit you had.
Big Grin
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

That router bit with the 5/8" bearing and 1/2" cutting diameter is for the Porter Cable door hinge template.     Roly
Not to derail but the topic of Freud bits and blades came up at work. I've always used Amana. It seems that Freud is so popular because a lot of places sell them, we do at work which is why there are so many red bits and blades all over.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(03-25-2019, 01:16 PM)Roly Wrote: That router bit with the 5/8" bearing and 1/2" cutting diameter is for the Porter Cable door hinge template.     Roly

Yes, I was going to say that was probably a specialty bit.

I have the 4-hinge PC kit, I'll check the bit that it has
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Here's the technical info, definitely an offset bearing, dang.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Tech specs was in the amazon link that the OP posted
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-25-2019, 07:55 AM)mound Wrote: I have a bunch of mortises to cut for non rectangular hinges. (think Butler Tray style)

Made myself a perfect template out of 1/2" MDF and then realized I needed a very short bearing guided bit to route the shallow mortises. 
Picked up this guy at the local Woodcraft:

https://www.amazon.com/Freud-Dia-Mortisi...B000BV7RC2

Came home and fired it up on a piece of scrap and to my surprise, the bearing is NOT inline with the cutter! The mortise it routed was at least 1/16" smaller than my pattern. 

I must be ignorant of something.. Why on earth would a bearing guided bit like this not have the bearing exactly inline with the cutter? My template which fits the hinges perfectly is useless with this bit.

Ended up using my template and a larger bearing guided pattern bit to make a much thicker template so that I could use my much longer bit to cut the shallow mortises and that all worked fine, but what a PITA. 

I feel like this new bit is useless as a pattern cutting bit. Very curious to know what I'm missing here, why it's offset. There must be a reason?

Change the bearing. Bearings are readily available. I bought bearings at Ace Hardware.
mike