Waterlox
I am considering using waterlox for a maple butcher-block countertop and the kitchen. I was wondering how long the smell 4 strong. I know it takes weeks for it to fully cure but would anyone consider it to be overly offensive? Or just mildly offensive?
Conversely, is there a better product to use? I have an attached garage that conveys any smells. So even if I do finish it and let it cure in the garage, it's going to smell up the house if it's bad smell.

Thanks
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
No idea about the smell.

But somewhere here, or someone has saved, there is detailed info about waterlox from one of our past members, Gillie.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I used Waterlox on the black walnut trim in our master bedroom.
Took several weeks for the smell to dissipate with the AC fan set to run all the time.
It was worth it.

Having said this, General Finishes ArmR-Seal is really nice, a little easier to apply (from what I recall) and the smell dissipates a little quicker.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(03-25-2019, 07:05 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: I used Waterlox on the black walnut trim in our master bedroom.
Took several weeks for the smell to dissipate with the AC fan set to run all the time.
It was worth it.

Having said this, General Finishes ArmR-Seal is really nice, a little easier to apply (from what I recall) and the smell dissipates a little quicker.

I thought about arm r seal too. Also looking at Safecoat brand stuff.

I just don't want my kitchen counter out of commission for weeks....but I'd prefer not to have poly.

Anyone have thoughts on Watco in comparison?
It takes 30-90 days for Waterlox to completely cure. If the butcher block is going to be used for food preparation, that must be kept in mind. The solvents cure in several hours. The solids cure about 95% in 1-2 weeks, depending on the environment and how many coats you've applied. It's basically tung oil, so if you know what tung oil smells like, you can let that be your gauge. The smell will remain for weeks until it's completely hardened. Waterlox is much more water resistant than Arm-R-Seal. General Finishes recommends finding something else if you require water resistance.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
The Wood Whisperer did a head to head to head to head comparison between two of the waterlox products, arm r seal and a wipe on poly. The arm r seal did very very well and as did the waterlox oh, but not the waterlox sealer. Anyway, I appreciate the advice I just don't know how people deal with the smell in their kitchens while the stuff is curing and outgassing. The house we are going to be working on after this one most likely will get several coats of waterlox, as time will not be a constraint.
For something like that, I might just go with a regular ol' Danish oil, either a commercial one or something you mix up at home. While it might not have the longevity of the Waterlox, it will dry faster, and it's very simple to reapply if it dulls. I find it's actually pretty durable on cutting boards if you clean the surface with clear, warm water (no soap).
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Today's water based poly is pretty tough. Wondering why you've kicked it to the curb without trying it.
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

You definitely don't want poly, as it's a surface finish and it won't live well with knife work. Waterlox and Arm-R-Seal soak into the wood. It really depends on how you're going to use your countertop. Waterlox will impart an amber tone to your maple.

The Wood Whisperer's test was on veneered plywood. Not exactly a good comparison. He also didn't pick a winner, and said that all the finishes he used were "great finishes".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PryTA4pzTZ4
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I've never heard nor seen anyone doing knifework on a wooden kitchen countertop in a house.
Why slice an expensive top up. Use a cutting board.
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020