Rough Cut TV show Name Change
Looks like FINE WOODWORKING'S ROUGH CUT tv show has a new name.  It's now CLASSIC WOODWORKING.

The Fine Woodworking Website now reflects the new name.

I hope we'll see new episodes now that the lawsuit is settled.

Mike
Fine with me, never understood the name rough cut anyways.
I like the new show a lot better.
I just searched the Fine Woodworking site and could not find any information regarding the Rough Cut show. It is like it never existed on their site. Mike where did you see it?
(03-28-2019, 10:30 PM)RogerD Wrote: I just searched the Fine Woodworking site and could not find any information regarding the Rough Cut show.  It is like it never existed on their site.  Mike where did you see it?

Go to www.finewoodworking.com and choose TV from the menu items across the top.

Or go directly to https://www.finewoodworking.com/classic-woodworking 

Both take you to the same place.

Mike
Well, that explains why there was a settlement between Tommy Mac and WGBH in the lawsuit. It was the path of least resistance, really, for WGBH. Even though I think WGBH had more legal standing in the lawsuit to retain the rights to the name Rough Cut, I think most folks associate the name with Tommy Macdonald.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Many lawsuits ended like that: settlements with little real gain to either party after the legal costs. I am sure both parties in this case were happy to move on.

As for the new name, Fine Woodworking would have been nicer, but Taunton might have a good reason not to use it. Classic Woodworking is an uninspiring one to me. Rough Cut? May be I do that in stock prep and for shop builds.

Simon
(03-29-2019, 08:12 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Many lawsuits ended like that: settlements with little real gain to either party after the legal costs. I am sure both parties in this case were happy to move on.

As for the new name, Fine Woodworking would have been nicer, but Taunton might have a good reason not to use it. Classic Woodworking is an uninspiring one to me. Rough Cut? May be I do that in stock prep and for shop builds.

Simon

After all of the hullabaloo, PBS might not have wanted to start down the same road of using an existing trademark again.
(03-29-2019, 08:24 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: After all of the hullabaloo, PBS might not have wanted to start down the same road of using an existing trademark again.

https://www.classicwoodworking.net/

this guy could benefit from a little free promotion if he put the new TV link on his web site.

Simon
(03-29-2019, 08:24 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: After all of the hullabaloo, PBS might not have wanted to start down the same road of using an existing trademark again.

To clarify, PBS wasn't being sued here.  It was WGBH and Fine Woodworking specifically that Tommy Mac sued.  The show is aired via the PBS network, which is a broadcaster and distributor.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-29-2019, 10:06 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: https://www.classicwoodworking.net/

this guy could benefit from a little free promotion if he put the new TV link on his web site.

Simon

It's Classic Woodworking & Vanity Inc., which is a little different.  That said, it's so easy to hire a lawyer to do a copyright / trademark search to prevent any legal complications.  I won a contest at a company I worked for to come up with their next slogan.  They had 3000 entries and chose the top 10.  Mine was #1, but they told me they did a search to make sure nobody else was using my slogan before they went ahead and trademarked it for themselves.  They chose 10 just in case any others got shot down in the search.  Unbeknownst to the company, my slogan was an underhanded slight against upper management, because it started out "Common Sense...".
Still Learning,

Allan Hill