Track saw dilemma: Festool vs Makita
I bought a Festool track saw back in 04 or 05 specifically to break down sheet goods. Made a cutting grid to sit on sawhorses - sat just below tailgate height of the truck. Drag a sheet from the truck, place the track, make the cuts, rinse & repeat. Just sold my miter saw and will be giving away my RAS - which functions the brand new mft/3 will assume. Haven't used the mft/3 yet but I am impressed by it. Locks up dead nuts square and only takes a minute to square up when reassembling the table. Check out the mft/3 vides - it truly is multi-functional.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I have no experience with the Makita. 

I've got both the small and large Festool, Festool vac, MFT/3, extra MFT Table, 110" track, 55" track and a 32" track. I use them all. 

Obviously, I love the Festool system. If you break down sheets several times a year then get the Makita and save the money. However, if you use sheets a lot then spend the extra money and get the Festool, it's a wonderful tool system. 

Notes:
1) I VERY MUCH PREFER THE LARGER ONE. It has noticeably more power and not that much more weight. I started out with the small one but since I got the large one [needed it for a specific job] I just about never choose the small one now--it seems underpowered for most jobs. 1/4" ply is fine for the small one--everything else I go with the big one. I have no idea how the poster above could come to the opposite conclusion--I wonder if they cut 3/4" often...

2) I highly recommend getting the long 110" track. You don't want to be constantly putting together two 55's and taking them apart...

3) I actually sold my table saw [a cherry 1954 Unisaw] because I ended up never using it once I went track. Details: I use a lot of angles, work on site many times, and have young kids [so having a ts is a liability]. 

4) Don't underestimate how useful the holes are on the MFT table. Oh my.

5) but really: if you don't cut sheets too much then the Makita is probably worth saving money with.
Steve, did you decide what you wanted to do?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
EXPERIENCE and NEED is how I draw a different conclusion.  

My children were trained properly on the use and dangers of all shop equipment including the tablesaw.    I don't lose sleep worrying whether they'll act foolishly or with ignorance when I'm not looking.

The 75's xtra oomph and capacity is necessary for thicker dimensional hardwood, but the O.P. wasn't asking about that.   And let's look at the #'s.  The ts75 is 25% more powerful than the 55 and has a 27% deeper depth of cut.  But this comes with a 35% weight penalty - or - over 3 1/2 lbs.   So, if you need the depth, you need it.  Not necessary for for plywood though.  That xtra weight and systainer size makes a difference when you're moving jobsites constantly.  Same with a 110" rail.  That ain't easy or efficient to transport in some vehicles.  Or to get in an elevator.  2 @ 1400mm rails in a storage bag fit easily in a lot of vehicles and can be slung over your shoulder bag while you push your CT+ systainer stack,  or MW1000.  That isn't going to happen with your one piece rail and MFT -  it's multiple trips.    If you don't consider 3.5lbs, or 35% "much" , so be be it.  I'll bet you'd love a 35% discount or miss 35% of your paycheck though.

The 55 is powerful enough for any sheet goods.  My guys and I have cut miles of domestic and euro plywood, veneered and laminate coated particle board, lacquered MDF, Medite, Trespa, honeycomb aluminum panels, and acrylic all up to 25mm thick. That's an inch.   With the proper blade, the ts55 doesn't complain nor did it's predecessors.  The blade must be suited to the material, sharp and the saw+vac need to be on a 20 amp circuit. Using a 28t blade to rip a 2x4 is going to be a disaster.  Same with a Panther blade croscutting a zebrano veneer panel.  That's not the saw's fault because it's under powered; it's user error. Use the wrong cutter and starve the motor of current, and yeah, it would seem under powered. 

n.b.  The Makita saw has 10% more power than even the larger ts75
Eek   All in a smaller/lighter/cheaper package. It's a very hard proposition to beat at breaking down sheetgoods for non-fanboys.

Joining two rails, accurately, takes about a minute and a half.  That was the only option in the 90's when the longer rails weren't really available here.  If you do join rails, get TSO's connectors instead of Festool's or Makita's offerings .   In a stationary setting like a shop or a month long job, the one piece is far superior.   If you take your show on the road constantly, separate rails have more advantages.  Cost is a wash foir Festool's 2@1400 vs. 1@2700.   But Makita's 118" rail for $225 (or less) is an absolute steal if you want a long one piece rail.

20mm (or 3/4") dog holes can be added to any work surface to utilize clamps, dogs, hold downs and other items.  Festool didn't invent this concept, bench dogs have been around for ever.  At one point square or rectangular holes were en vogue because it demonstrated you had the forethought and talent to build them into your bench.  They weren't practical to add after the fact.  An MFT isn't the only way to utilize this.
Does Hilti still make a saw that fits the Festool rails? I have the older 267 that takes a 7 1/4" blade.
Rich
"Have a very small amount of things to work with." Henri Cartier-Bresson
Whatever saw you get, I highly recommend you get a long rail and a short rail. A rail long enough to rip 8 feet of ply is going to be very cumbersome for short cuts. I have a Festool TS75. It's a grand tool. The ergonomics are superb and it's very intuitive to use. The only bad thing to say about the Festool is all the measurement markings are metric, which really isn't such a bad deal for breaking down sheet goods. Dust collection on the Festool is very, very good. Not much at all to clean up after using it. If you get a Makita, make sure your dust collector / shop vac or whatever can connect to it. Another consideration is that the Festool has a riving knife. Not a big deal with ply if your base is nice and flat, but if you're ripping large hardwood boards or milling rough sawn lumber, the riving knife adds a measure of safety you don't get with the other available track saws. Another caution is there are many reviews out there that complain about the track on the Makita being curved. I don't know if this is widespread, because in comparison testing, it gets very good reviews. Read the reviews from Home Depot and other sites before you buy. I was surprised when I looked at the Home Depot reviews - there are quite a few 1-star reviews. Also, the Makita case doesn't have any foam inserts - the saw just gets packaged loose inside the container. I own a lot of Makita tools and I find them generally top notch. I'm just saying do your research.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill