Show me your sharpening stations!
Big Grin 
Hello all,

After spending the better part of a day sharpening all my various chisels, plane irons, marking knives, etc.  I was reminded again that I want a dedicated space or easy setup for sharpening, so I sharpen as I go.

So please enlighten me with photos, suggestions of things that did or did not work and why.

Thanks in advance!
(03-30-2019, 06:31 AM)mongo Wrote: Hello all,

After spending the better part of a day sharpening all my various chisels, plane irons, marking knives, etc.  I was reminded again that I want a dedicated space or easy setup for sharpening, so I sharpen as I go.

So please enlighten me with photos, suggestions of things that did or did not work and why.

Thanks in advance!

This is when it was new, it looks well seasoned now
Smile

This has worked very well for me, it is fast and very convenient having this so readily available.  I have also added a tomek to the bench next to it.  

[Image: IMG-1961.jpg]
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
thanks you! Do you have a sink for cleanup or some other method?
Nice/neat/squared away: I like it!!!

(03-30-2019, 09:05 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: This is when it was new, it looks well seasoned now
Smile

This has worked very well for me, it is fast and very convenient having this so readily available.  I have also added a tomek to the bench next to it.  

[Image: IMG-1961.jpg]
(03-30-2019, 10:53 AM)mongo Wrote: thanks you!  Do you have a sink for cleanup or some other method?

Yes, I have a deep sink in the laundry room, but usually a spray bottle of water and one of those blue harbor freight shop tools that comes on the roll is all that is needed for any clean up.

All the best!
John
(03-30-2019, 12:32 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Nice/neat/squared away: I like it!!!

Thank you Philip!
I don't have a dedicated station.  My sharpening setup is way too small to need that. 

[Image: img_2333.jpg]
Coarse diamond stone, double-sided Arkansas stone (soft/hard), and a strop.  I keep them in the tool chest unless I'm using them.  Most of the time I don't even use the diamond stone, unless I've really let an edge go dull.  Instead, I start on the soft Arkansas, hone briefly on the hard Arkansas, and then strop.  Takes only a couple minutes per edge. 

I do have a bench grinder in another location, but I use it only to reestablish bevels after several sharpenings. 

I'm not against dedicated sharpening stations.  If I had all the space I wanted, I might keep my sharpening things out on an assembly table or something like that.  But you can solve some of your space issues by keeping your processes simple.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I just made this for the same reasons, just a PIA dragging everything out and back in, it's functional for me and I find I hone much more often.

www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0l5qXGF1ZdcxC;1A7198A1-A31D-4E61-A102-1B85097E8548
Bruce.
(03-31-2019, 07:36 AM)stillgotten Wrote: I just made this for the same reasons, just a PIA dragging everything out and back in, it's functional for me and I find I hone much more often.

www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0l5qXGF1ZdcxC;1A7198A1-A31D-4E61-A102-1B85097E8548

Bruce,
Are you still happy with those DMT diamond stones?  I saw your earlier post from a few months ago, and that has put me in the mindset of diamond stones - just need to pull the trigger.  I have been using sandpaper up to 2500 grit for my honing.  I don't like changing paper, and I don't like the idea of flattening water stones.
Steve
(03-31-2019, 10:01 AM)arnman Wrote: Bruce,
Are you still happy with those DMT diamond stones?  I saw your earlier post from a few months ago, and that has put me in the mindset of diamond stones - just need to pull the trigger.  I have been using sandpaper up to 2500 grit for my honing.  I don't like changing paper, and I don't like the idea of flattening water stones.

I couldn't be happier with them. Mind you I've only had them a couple months but in that time The 'stones' have broken in and they really do make quick work of a task I never really enjoyed doing. Now with this station all set up to sharpen all my edged implements of destruction, it's quick and easy with no bother at all, I might even say I KIND of like honing now...not really, it's just no bother.
Bruce.