Wood putty popping under latex paint
(03-30-2019, 04:40 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: That looks more like a wood plug than putty on my end. Course sometimes my end can get distorted if my ozone depletion coptoviro system is malfunctioning......
Winkgrin

I had the same thought, about the wood plug and not the ozone whatever.
Ha!

It's putty. I applied it!
Semper fi,
Brad

I would chip out the wood putty and replace it with acrylic spackle.  It sands easier and coats well.  They claim it does not even require sanding.

[Image: 070798121423.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I would sand it flush the coat the whole face with shellac so the surface will be uniform. Roly
(03-30-2019, 04:43 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I had the same thought, about the wood plug and not the ozone whatever.

If you plug a countersunk and counter bored hole with putty, it will expand out looking like a overlength dowel.

[Image: counterbore-vs-countersink.jpg]
(04-02-2019, 08:07 AM)Cooler Wrote: They claim it does not even require sanding.

"they" lie.
(04-02-2019, 12:38 PM)crokett™ Wrote: "they" lie.
I installed ship lap in one bathroom.  Contrary to standard practice I filled all the nail holes with spackle (and sanded).  Under a coat of primer and a coat of Behr Marquis semi-gloss it is quite impossible to spot the holes.  These were just 18 gage and a few 15 gage nail holes.  Much smaller than a countersunk screw hole.  But it dried fast, sanded fast and easily and was invisible after painting.

I used Shop Smith sanding blocks with velcro sand paper.  After the sand paper clogs up I run it under a strong stream of hot water and it is good to go again once dry.  The small block seems perfect for small holes.

[Image: s-l640.jpg]
Update:

I sanded down the popped putty and repainted with latex paint that I *didn't* thin with water.

No issues.
Semper fi,
Brad

Cool  ...................
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020