Wood putty popping under latex paint
  Re: RE: Wood putty popping under latex paint by Stwood_ (That looks more like...)
(03-30-2019, 05:40 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: That looks more like a wood plug than putty on my end. Course sometimes my end can get distorted if my ozone depletion coptoviro system is malfunctioning...... Winkgrin

I had the same thought, about the wood plug and not the ozone whatever.
  Re: Wood putty popping under latex paint by ®smpr_fi_mac® (Of course I'll need ...)
Ha!

It's putty. I applied it!
Semper fi,
Brad

Re: Wood putty popping under latex paint by ®smpr_fi_mac® (Of course I'll need ...)
I would chip out the wood putty and replace it with acrylic spackle.  It sands easier and coats well.  They claim it does not even require sanding.

No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I would sand it flush the coat the whole face with shellac so the surface will be uniform. Roly
  Re: RE: Wood putty popping under latex paint by Phil Thien ([quote='Stwood_' pid...)
(03-30-2019, 05:43 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I had the same thought, about the wood plug and not the ozone whatever.

If you plug a countersunk and counter bored hole with putty, it will expand out looking like a overlength dowel.

Re: RE: Wood putty popping under latex paint by Cooler (I would chip out the...)
(04-02-2019, 09:07 AM)Cooler Wrote: They claim it does not even require sanding.

"they" lie.
Janus was a disaster, coming or going - K. L, McReynolds 07/01/2015

My blog: http://wcwoodworking.blogspot.com/
  Re: RE: Wood putty popping under latex paint by crokett™ ([quote='Cooler' pid=...)
(04-02-2019, 01:38 PM)crokett™ Wrote: "they" lie.
I installed ship lap in one bathroom.  Contrary to standard practice I filled all the nail holes with spackle (and sanded).  Under a coat of primer and a coat of Behr Marquis semi-gloss it is quite impossible to spot the holes.  These were just 18 gage and a few 15 gage nail holes.  Much smaller than a countersunk screw hole.  But it dried fast, sanded fast and easily and was invisible after painting.

I used Shop Smith sanding blocks with velcro sand paper.  After the sand paper clogs up I run it under a strong stream of hot water and it is good to go again once dry.  The small block seems perfect for small holes.

Update:

I sanded down the popped putty and repainted with latex paint that I *didn't* thin with water.

No issues.
Semper fi,
Brad

Cool  ...................
Steve

!