My S45 is running
My Mini Max S45 band saw is up and running. And after hearing and feeling it while it is running I am more impressed than ever with the saw. It was that an on and off switch on the end of the motor was in the off position.

Anyway in the course of events I removed the table and the blade. The upper guides are the disc type used on a lot of european type saws.  I have never used this type of guides but they seem to be just fine and quite easy to adjust. I think the lower guides leave something to be desired and was wondering if anyone has changed to Carter ball bearing guides.
I am asking if there would be a noticeable performance improvement versus cost if I changed the guide system. 

I know the response could be opinionated but I would be especially interested, if the response is from first hand knowledge. And is open to any guide change no mater what brand of saw and not just the S45. I am sure others may be considering changing guides on their make of saw and may have that brand of saw so please let us know the brand also.

Tom
My saw (MM16) has those guides and I like them a lot. The lower guide is good, but it is a real PITA to adjust when needed. In reading as much as I could find, it seems the newer Minimax saws have the Carter system and the opinions between the Euro and the Carter are about evenly split. Even so, if there is a real reason to change them out I would....but for now I really like the OEM guides.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
While you're at it, you might want to check out Laguna's ceramic guides I like them a lot better than the Carter style guides.
My MM has all disc guides, top and bottom. I have no problems with them.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-31-2019, 08:25 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: While you're at it, you might want to check out Laguna's ceramic guides I like them a lot better than the Carter style guides.

They are nice, those ceramic guides.
I think euro guides are they way to do it. The Laguna ceramic just takes the euro to another level.
But I do not think that any guide system will make you bandsaw dance any better than another. Except for the Carter stabilizer, that is a whole different critter. Cool too.
Random thoughts from a bandsaw lover.
Ag
From my experience guides are pretty important on saws that can't put much tension on the blade, like my 14" Delta.  But once you move up to saws that can put more than 20K psi on a blade guides become of little importance unless you are cutting tight curves.  On my 17" Grizzly where I run 27K psi on a 1" blade the guides really aren't doing anything for the ripping and veneer slicing I do on that saw.  The S45 isn't capable of putting 25K psi on a wide blade, but it's a huge step up over a 14" Delta.  I would just use it with the stock guides until they prove inadequate; might never happen.  

John