Kreg Stand - MFT Top - Pictures
I am interested in doing something similar for my outfeed table. That is very well executed. I will be curious how much it moves if/when you beat on it a bit. Knocking together a carcass, light hand planing, that sort of thing. Looks fantastic!
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(03-31-2019, 07:07 PM)JohnnyEgo Wrote: I am interested in doing something similar for my outfeed table.  That is very well executed.  I will be curious how much it moves if/when you beat on it a bit.  Knocking together a carcass, light hand planing, that sort of thing.  Looks fantastic!

Thanks for the compliment!  I have to tell you I was very impressed with the Kreg stand.  Excellent finish, heavy gauge, and went together nice and square.  I used 3/4" baltic birch plywood to enclose the bottom of the stand.  I cut the plywood on the snug side so there's really no slop in the table.  And the weight of the plywood only added to the stability.  I'll be putting it through it's paces soon so I'll let you know how it does.

Lonnie
I made my  "mft" top using 3/4" thick MDF.  The top surface is slippery.

The table tops from Festool are made from some material that is supposed to hold the work in place and is not slippery.  Is that true?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-01-2019, 08:51 AM)Cooler Wrote: I made my  "mft" top using 3/4" thick MDF.  The top surface is slippery.

The table tops from Festool are made from some material that is supposed to hold the work in place and is not slippery.  Is that true?

I believe it is MDF (it's heavy like MDF) but it does feel slightly coarser.  Work pieces seem to slide around about the same as my work bench top.  I don't think it's going to hold anything in place without a clamp of some kind.

Lonnie
(03-31-2019, 07:07 PM)JohnnyEgo Wrote: I am interested in doing something similar for my outfeed table.  That is very well executed.  I will be curious how much it moves if/when you beat on it a bit.  Knocking together a carcass, light hand planing, that sort of thing.  Looks fantastic!

Johnny,
I planed a small board last night and the table didn't move at all - not a bit. I even grabbed each end of the table and tried to make it rock but it held steady.
Here's a couple of pics:

(03-31-2019, 05:25 PM)Scott W Wrote: Is that a miter slide of some sort? I like the table too but can we get some info on the TS setup?

Scott,
The slider moves on a track with 30 small bearings (20 placed vertically and 10 laying horizontal).  It uses 4 stout bolts to hold it to the table saw wing.  The miter arm is well made and has an extension that goes out to 49".  It took me a long time to find one.  I would think one in good shape could fetch $400-$500.  The only downside to this type of slider is that the sliding table is not directly adjacent to the blade like a full size slider would be.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Here's some pics:

(04-01-2019, 01:51 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: Johnny,
I planed a small board last night and the table didn't move at all - not a bit. I even grabbed each end of the table and tried to make it rock but it held steady.

That is fantastic. Also exactly what I am looking to do as I slowly migrate into the world of hand tools. I don't have dedicated space for another work bench right now, and everything in my shared garage has do double-duty. I looked hard at the MFT, but it didn't look stable enough for handtool use. This looks like a great way to get both an outfeed table and a reasonably effective clamping table in one package. Appreciate the follow-up!
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(04-01-2019, 06:10 PM)JohnnyEgo Wrote: That is fantastic.  Also exactly what I am looking to do as I slowly migrate into the world of hand tools.  I don't have dedicated space for another work bench right now, and everything in my shared garage has do double-duty.  I looked hard at the MFT, but it didn't look stable enough for handtool use.  This looks like a great way to get both an outfeed table and a reasonably effective clamping table in one package.  Appreciate the follow-up!

The MFT is a game changer for folks that have to setup on site.  So many solutions in a portable package.  But portability comes at the price of stability.  I think the added weight of the plywood and especially the tight fit of the plywood to the frame are the main reasons my table is so stable.  Also, no casters.  In my situation, not having to be portable made all the difference.

Lonnie
Nice looking setup and nice job on the table! Had to look up "Kreg MFT top" to get the gist of what you were doing. Does this table take the place of a woodworking workbench? Is that a flat screen TV on the wall over by your saw?

Doug
(04-02-2019, 12:03 AM)Tapper Wrote: Nice looking setup and nice job on the table! Had to look up "Kreg MFT top" to get the gist of what you were doing. Does this table take the place of a woodworking workbench? Is that a flat screen TV on the wall over by your saw?

Doug

Hi Doug,
Personally, I still have my regular bench.  Although I've wanted a clamping setup for some time I couldn't bring myself to 'swiss cheese' my bench.  And the new setup worked out better as I gained additional work space.  But there are woodworkers who only use a MFT style bench.  Here's a PDF of a guy who has completely converted to using MFT for all of his work.  It's a very informative article and worth the time to read it.  He is shop based so he has upgraded all of his tables to much larger and sturdier setups.  

https://service.festoolusa.com/media/pdf..._table.pdf

Yes, that's a flat screen on the wall of my shop.  My company used to rent TVs as part of the services we offered at a local Expo Center.  The new owner wasn't interested in TV rentals so there's a nice sized flat screen TV in the living room, my shop, and we gave one to our BIL so he can watch his Cub games.

Lonnie

PS  That Bosch jig saw I bought from you a few years back went to my daughter's shop this past weekend - still working fine!