Oak question
I have four or five pieces of oak I found at the bottom of a heap of lumber I bought a decade and a half ago. A couple of the pieces are quartersawn, the others flat sawn. I belive the QS to be white oak, the flat sawn, might be red. All were bought S2S. Any guidance to tell white from red?

Thanks in advance.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(04-04-2019, 06:08 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I have four or five pieces of oak I found at the bottom of a heap of lumber I bought a decade and a half ago.  A couple of the pieces are quartersawn, the others flat sawn.  I belive the QS to be white oak, the flat sawn, might be red.  All were bought S2S.  Any guidance to tell white from red?

Thanks in advance.

Look closely at the end grain. Red Oak cells are more open than white Oak. In fact, on a small piece of red you can sometimes blow through it like a straw.
Tony, the vascular system in red oak is open. In white oak, it is closed (the little tubes are clogged with silicate material). You can blow through a short piece of red oak; you can't blow through white oak. Cut off a short piece of both types and see if you can blow through it by blowing against the end grain. Some people recommend submersing a short (4"-5") thin piece in a glass of water. If you can suck a little water through it like a straw, it's red oak.
Thanks! I seem to remember Roy Underhill demonstrating this, but my 66 year old brain couldn't remember which did what!
www.metaltech-pm.com
(04-04-2019, 06:26 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Thanks!  I seem to remember Roy Underhill demonstrating this, but my 66 year old brain couldn't remember which did what!

Word for your vocabulary - tyloses.  Blocks in the lumens of the vascular system.  

Interestingly enough, it's why white oak is used for barrels.  Red oak would give too much to "the angels," as the Irish have it.

Great free - well, prepaid at any rate - source on wood.  https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgt...gtr113.htm
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Tested the lumber today, 2 pieces definitely white oak, 1 piece mor than likely white oak (couple of air bubbles) 1 piece definitely red oak. I have some sodium nitrate coming on Monday, small bottle, about $8.00, from Amazon, to verify the probably piece.

Thanks all!
www.metaltech-pm.com
(04-04-2019, 06:08 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I have four or five pieces of oak I found at the bottom of a heap of lumber I bought a decade and a half ago.  A couple of the pieces are quartersawn, the others flat sawn.  I belive the QS to be white oak, the flat sawn, might be red.  All were bought S2S.  Any guidance to tell white from red?

Thanks in advance.

Cut a piece of it and the white oak has a very distinct and unique pungent smell - can't miss it! Love that stuff! 
Yes

Doug
(04-08-2019, 12:20 AM)Tapper Wrote: Cut a piece of it and the white oak has a very distinct and unique pungent smell - can't miss it! Love that stuff! 
Yes

Doug

Yep, it smells like whiskey ... or vice versa. 
Big Grin
My bottle of sodium nitrate arrived yesterday. $8.00 (Amazon) bought me enough for the rest of my years. Supposed to use a 10% solution, which equals 4 teaspoons to 1 cup of water. Mix and put a few drops on the oak. Red oak just wetted. White oak turns deep brown/black after about 15 minutes.

Was told this is an old sawyer's trick at sawmills and it worked perfectly, though it only verified the "blowing through a cutoff method".
www.metaltech-pm.com
I always went by color and grain structure
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020