Craftsman router
I have a Craftsman model 315.1749 1 1/2 hp router. It has been rarely used, but I have lost the collett. it is 1/4". I have searched and searched. Everything I find says "discontinued". Anyone have any suggestions?
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men,out of necessity, are forced by circumstance to meet."
Admiral William Frederick "Bull" Halsey Jr.

(04-05-2019, 08:34 AM)DarrellC Wrote: I have a Craftsman model 315.1749 1 1/2 hp router. It has been rarely used, but I have lost the collett. it is 1/4". I have searched and searched. Everything I find says "discontinued". Anyone have any suggestions?

Rebadged Porter Cable.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(04-05-2019, 10:37 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Rebadged Porter Cable.

I dont think it is.  If it is this model then its all sears.  I had one of those and it decided to come apart internally while I was using it.  One of the reasons I signed off on Sears tools a long time ago.   You could probably find one used on CL or just find something else used.

[Image: 72790153_614.jpg]
FWIW, the manual I saw online doesn't show a collet, just the nut-and in the past I had a similar model, that had the end of the motor shaft threaded and split, and that served to hold the bit-sort of a "built in" collet.
Take a close look at the end of the shaft-yours might be the same.
(04-05-2019, 01:49 PM)EvilTwin Wrote: I dont think it is.  If it is this model then its all sears. 

[Image: 72790153_614.jpg]

I don't have a link for it, but I know there is a website somewhere that will tell you who manufactured any Craftsman tool. Need to enter the part # (or the first part of it). Has a list of all Craftsman tools. I have used it before. Lost itwhen I changed computers and lost my "favorites." I think it may have been on the Sears/Craftsman website, which may soon be a thing of the past unless you can find it on the Way Back Machine website. That might help you track down a source.

(04-05-2019, 08:30 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: ______________________
I don't have a link for it, but I know there is a website somewhere that will tell you who manufactured any Craftsman tool. Need to enter the part # (or the first part of it). Has a list of all Craftsman tools. I have used it before. Lost itwhen I changed computers and lost my "favorites." I think it may have been on the Sears/Craftsman website, which may soon be a thing of the past unless you can find it on the Way Back Machine website. That might help you track down a source.

315 is Ryobi.

Here's a link to the list:  http://vintagemachinery.org/craftsman/ma...urers.aspx
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-05-2019, 08:34 AM)DarrellC Wrote: I have a Craftsman model 315.1749 1 1/2 hp router. It has been rarely used, but I have lost the collett. it is 1/4". I have searched and searched. Everything I find says "discontinued". Anyone have any suggestions?

I think you're missing a number after the 9 in your model #; e.g. 0, 1, 2, ? typically 5 digits after the dot.

No real help, but per Sears site, the router was made by Ryobi. Both use the same collet nut. I did not see any listing for a separate collet sleeve insert so, as noted already, the shaft must be split. I assume it's 1/4"? Craftsman part # 989985-003

Ryobi R162K R160/165/175 Craftsman 31517492 Router (10 Pack) Replacement Collet Nut # 989985003-10pk - *Includes: (10) - Collet Nut # 989985003 *Replaces Part Number: 989985-003 *Genuine OEM Replacement Part *New OEM Bulk Packaged *Please Refer to List Below for Compatibility *Compatible with the following models: Ryobi: R162K Corded Router R161 1-1/2 Peak HP Router Kit TR31 Laminate Trimmer TR30 Laminate Trimmer R175 Plunge Router R1801M Router RE175 1-3/4 HP Plunge....

It's a long shot, but you might try calling some of the Ryobi Service Centers to see if they have any NOS. I needed a switch for my B&D Professional Drywall ScrewGun a couple of years ago. Found a service center in California that was hoarding them. I bought two...will last me the rest of my life-time.

https://www.service-center-locator.com/ryobi/ryobi-service-center.htm
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
Try Sears parts Direct
ereplacement parts --- Craftsman 315.17492 & 315.174921 Router Parts , #27 Router Collet Nut No Longer Available

No
No
No
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I just did a quick search on Craigslist and there were eight craftsman routers on the first page (of 35 pages) that were $40 or less. Also if there's a pawn shop near you that does tools, you can probably find one for $10 or $15.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"