anyone know what ln uses on their plane handles and totes?
I have one I need to touch up. Anyone know what the factory finish is? if not I will call tomorrow.

Thanks!
If you find out, please share the info.  I have seen video of them dipping wood parts in a thin finish and then buffing it when dry.  It is a minimal and not very durable finish. At their hand tool events the demo tool handles show the typical darkness of cherry combined with oils from the users hands.  My guess is that the finish is a thinned version of boiled linseed oil.
(04-07-2019, 08:53 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: If you find out, please share the info.  I have seen video of them dipping wood parts in a thin finish and then buffing it when dry.  It is a minimal and not very durable finish. At their hand tool events the demo tool handles show the typical darkness of cherry combined with oils from the users hands.  My guess is that the finish is a thinned version of boiled linseed oil.

If no ine chimes in I will let you know.  sounds like from what you said BLO and maybe wax.  Will be interesting to find out.
A friend of mine works at LN in the saw shop. He is pretty sure that LN uses Tru-Oil, followed by wax and buffing on their plane handles.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(04-07-2019, 10:48 AM)enjuneer Wrote: A friend of mine works at LN in the saw shop. He is pretty sure that LN uses Tru-Oil, followed by wax and buffing on their plane handles.

We have a winner called this morning.They use tru oil now before the buffing.  If you have 20ish years old stuff it might have urethane.
They must used a thinned version of Tru-Oil because I've seen videos of them dipping their plane knobs and it was water thin.  It also wears off their new LN tools very quickly, and the Tru-Oil finished knobs I have made in the past never lost their finish.  

I use a paste wipe-on finish, made in Canada, for those knobs.  It is low gloss and easy to put on with a rag or just my fingers.  After a bit, I wipe off the excess and it drys to a very durable finish that does not darken the (cherry) wood.
(04-10-2019, 05:43 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: I use a paste wipe-on finish, made in Canada, for those knobs.  It is low gloss and easy to put on with a rag or just my fingers.  After a bit, I wipe off the excess and it drys to a very durable finish that does not darken the (cherry) wood.

By any chance, might you be referring to Circa 1850 Paste Varnish?
(04-11-2019, 12:06 AM)Joe Bailey Wrote: By any chance, might you be referring to Circa 1850 Paste Varnish?

I'll have to dig it out and check.  I remember it was a Chris Schwarz tip. Similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=XTde83f01-4
I thought the old ones were shellacked and new ones were Tru Oil.  I do use Tru Oil on a lot of wood turned items.  Great stuff.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.