Old Monkey Wards router
Someone just gave me this:

I had no idea what I was getting and now I have no idea what to do with it.  I don't think it has ever been used. The plastic grips are still stapled inside the original packaging. The shaft turns freely but I haven't turned it on because any factory lubrication probably dried out years ago. The chuck is for 1/4" bits and it's rack and pinion like the old Dewalt 610.  It seems a shame to try and put it to work at this stage of it's life. Is there a collectors market for items like this? If I sell it, all proceeds would go to the person who gave it to me. Oh, and it has a one year warranty!

Papa Jim
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
Wow, like you just bought it off the Monkey Wards shelf.  

It would probably be ok to use it. I have a couple of routers of that vintage and all work fine.
Blast from the past, indeed.
(04-07-2019, 04:59 PM)Papa Jim Wrote: Someone just gave me this:

I had no idea what I was getting and now I have no idea what to do with it.  I don't think it has ever been used. The plastic grips are still stapled inside the original packaging. The shaft turns freely but I haven't turned it on because any factory lubrication probably dried out years ago. The chuck is for 1/4" bits and it's rack and pinion like the old Dewalt 610.  It seems a shame to try and put it to work at this stage of it's life. Is there a collectors market for items like this? If I sell it, all proceeds would go to the person who gave it to me. Oh, and it has a one year warranty!

Papa Jim

Yes, people do collect "old" power tools. Perhaps a little browsing over at owwm forum might be in order.  http://www.owwm.org/  Likewise the SMC forum.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Yes, a blast from the past for sure.
Laugh 

Do some *sold* ebay searching and see what you find. You never know....
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(04-14-2019, 03:17 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Yes, a blast from the past for sure.
Laugh 

Do some *sold* ebay searching and see what you find. You never know....

Monkey Wards, like Sears, never made anything just had their name put on the stuff. It kind of has the ear marks of a Porter Cable but it would have been Rockwell at the time. The bearings are probably sealed for life ball bearings and should be as good today and when it was made. I would take it for a spin.

Tom
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4...r&_sacat=0

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4...Complete=1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I'm still using a Monkey Wards 230 amp ac stick welder. Good stuff.

That router? It could possibly be the only one left of that model that has never been used. I'd box it back up and wait until a museum wants it or a serious collector wants to keep it. It's been sitting all this time, a few more wont hurt.

Grease does dry out. I would seriously suggest repacking any bearings or bushings before operating it.!