Building a cabin in the wilderness
The Seattle PBS station use to run the Pronneke film every fund raising drive. It and Ken Burns' Civil War. So I got the book. Good read, BTW. The film was put together and narrated in Seattle. It's not his voice. Dick liked it. Both these men are remarkable men. But the film is also a bit of a misrepresentation . If he can make some money off the this survivalist silliness, good on him. Remember my comment "It's hard to find country without power lines"
A man of foolish pursuits
Derek, I think your summation is correct, he is camping and hoping you pay the camp fees. It really can't be any other way. It's a family affair and none of them look too rough. You could confront the guy directly.

Concerning lies and falsehoods, the US is in a phase of the most incipient and bluntly obvious crap ever shoved into our brains. This guy's stretch of facts is normal. The only problem to me is that I think it is normal. If I was honest, I would be banished from this forum. Hopefully, we will be intelligent some day.

Finding something else more tuned to our wood pastime to critique is a better venture. 

I wondered if the solar charger was enough for his iPhone?
Guys, guys, guys, so what? He makes no claim to being a survivalist, is clear he gets "stuff" from town and doesn't compare himself to Dick P. If the nearest town for supplies is two hours away, he's clearly out there in the boonies. If he can make a living by posting videos so people can vicariously live their dream of leaving behind their cube life of 12 hour days in front of a computer doing coding, and sharing in an apartment in San Francisco [or name the tech town] with three room mates for a full time camp in the woods, god bless. Because that's what he is doing here, nothing more or less.

Plus, he's got a great dog......
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-12-2019, 12:27 PM)Admiral Wrote: Guys, guys, guys, so what?  He makes no claim to being a survivalist, is clear he gets "stuff" from town and doesn't compare himself to Dick P.  If the nearest town for supplies is two hours away, he's clearly out there in the boonies.  If he can make a living by posting videos so people can vicariously live their dream of leaving behind their cube life of 12 hour days in front of a computer doing coding, and sharing in an apartment in San Francisco [or name the tech town] with three room mates for a full time camp in the woods, god bless. Because that's what he is doing here, nothing more or less.

Plus, he's got a great dog......

We agree completely. I simply don't get all the carping about this dude.
As a Major Hogan observed in Sharpe's Rifles....

"Not one of us.."
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
After watching the interresting parts and zooming past the rest I'd say that the only greatly incorrect part of it all is the title of the video and his unwillingness to correct people's missconceptions.

"Two years in the borderlands between civilisation and wilderness" is what I think it should be called.

His sawing techique with the bow saw and his choice of bowsaw at the beginning of the film are utterly ridiculous. Obviously he learned as he went that doing things this way was just not viable so he started using a chansaw. Most of his logs later on look very obviously chansaw cut.

His log peeling technique at the beginning is also telling the story of a hardworking man with one hell of a drive but who hasn't yet learned the skill.
Surprisingly he didn't learn until maybe towards the end of the film. Instead he worked himself tired and then broke down and asked someone with and industrial barking machine to do the job for him. Some of his logs bear the telltale spiral marks from a flail type industrial barking machine without much of the typical chipping so I rekon the blades must have been newly sharpened.

He is not building his cabin on site up to plate level. The pen makings he does near the corner notches on each log are the sort of markings you do on a log building that is to be taken down and moved. Therefore he lifts ready fitted logs oto the bulding later on.
He seems to build the gable tops on site though.

He is obvoisly a beginner in log building but he is learning fast. The accuracy of the corner notches are equal to the accuracy produced by a proper craftsman but he uses quite a bit of extra effort to get there. It is way faster to use an axe than a wee scorp for that sort of corner notches. A chainsaw speeds it up even further.
The logs have no proper long grooves to make them fit tight against one another and the type of corner notches is the simplest possible. A hay shed or boat shed or wood shed of some sort is what I would call it. I built one of those with similar accuracy a few years ago. It is way easier than building proper scribe fitted log walls with draught proofed corners.

All his sawn timber looks like it has been sawn on a proper cirkular sawmill. A would guess a small village sawmill sawing for local needs as hobby sawmills tend to have smaller diametre blades. Maybe from his own timbers that he brought to the sawmill as that is how many such small sawmills prefere to operate.
Maybe the same local two or three man business who let him run his logs through their barking macchine. Though that is just my speculation.

In all he must have some sort of road access to his site. Maybe just a dirt track that is good enough for farm tractors and ATVs but some sort of road he certainly has. Though the road may not be usable every week of the year.

Certainly no mean feat for a beginner!
Well done........ but please change that missleading clickbait title.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(04-12-2019, 10:33 PM)bandit571 Wrote: As a Major Hogan observed in Sharpe's Rifles....

"Not one of us.."

"Sharpe would have shot out your left eye".......
Crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdww4LPVfco
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I can count on one hand the number of YouTube videos I simply could not hit the stop button on. I was mesmerized for 1.5 hours. I’m no judge of his building skills, but is video/editing skills are superb—and that part he doesn’t do in his cabin.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
(04-13-2019, 02:11 AM)TGW Wrote: Certainly no mean feat for a beginner!
Well done........ but please change that missleading clickbait title.

Thanks for the analysis, not having done one of these (nor do I intend to) your points made very good sense to me.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-13-2019, 08:28 AM)MsNomer Wrote: I can count on one hand the number of YouTube videos I simply could not hit the stop button on.  I was mesmerized for 1.5 hours.  I’m no judge of his building skills, but is video/editing skills are superb—and that part he doesn’t do in his cabin.

Yup! For me entertaining reads and youthful parties were what kept me up that late. A lady's jaunts and treks had the same impact. I'd be borrowing other hands and toes in my count.