Waxing table saws - Why?
(04-14-2019, 06:11 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: *WD40 is not a rust preventative, removing moisture only*

This is your statement, which I do not agree with, and...apparently the WD-40 Company.
Winkgrin

You've veered off track...Lie-Nielson....Camellia oil......yea, I've been through that, 20 years ago.

I've got a gallon of it sitting here also...

Smile
Smile

Yes, that's my statement which I am standing behind, based on my shop experience. I never suggested that it is a statement from the manufacturer.

I am open to anyone who disagrees with my observations since our shop experience and conditions are rarely the same. No bones there.

I used the camellia oil as an example to support my point that what you hear from a vendor is not necessarily always applicable or even true. Some camellia oil users could swear that it worked for them, but it does not mean it is a good rust preventative in general. Same story about wax.

WD40 is a good product, but compared to others as a rust preventative, I disagree with the WD40 company's statement. That also does not mean WD40 won't work for somebody else.

Simon
(04-14-2019, 06:21 PM)WilliamHodge Wrote: It's great to read the passionate and well informed responses about waxing table saw tables. The ideas I like the best are the ones that involve surface preparation, table coating preparation, preparation application and removal, then buffing, final coating application, and final buffing.

Has anyone ever tried chrome plating a table saw table?

Wasn't that at least part of the reason behind the introduction of the now-defunct granite top saws (and other stuff, I guess). I think even if I had on of them I'd wax it for the friction reduction, but I thought a big reason was no rust. Maybe they should have went with chrome plating (as I think about it, it seems like back in the days of the chrome auto bumpers they would rust somewhat).

PS: for you youngsters out there, cars used to have robust metal bumpers front and back, and they had a good layer of chrome plating on them.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.