My century+ old jointer is ready for another century!
I thought I had posted about this when I picked it up in September but can't find any thread on it.

Anyway, since I moved and got a bigger garage/shop, I wanted a replacement for my 1920-ish short bed 8" American Woodworker jointer. My dollar limit, though, was a mere $500. Perusing CL in September, this one popped up, for $500. I jumped on it, and the seller said he'd hold it because he, too, was a member of www.owwm.org -- said he knew it would be loved properly by a member of that site.

It's a Frank H. Clement 12" machine, built sometime between 1885 and 1897. It weighs in at about 900#. That was with the old motor mounted, which I haven't removed. The motor I put on adds about 85# to that.

It was a 13 hour round trip out to eastern Ohio, and well worth the drive.

I dropped another $500 in parts, tools, and paint to renew it, but think it's well worth the expense.

I was *really* nervous firing it up with blades for the first time last night--the cutter head utilizes a pair of bolted-on caps that squeeze the two knives to the head with four large bolts each. There are no gibs.

I was really surprised at how loud this thing is. The motor and bare cutter head were not quiet by any means--lots of air getting moved around, but the addition of blades makes it roar as it cuts through the air.

Despite all that noise, there's barely any vibration. It passes the nickel test.

I tested it on a 6" wide piece of maple last night. My depth of cut was only about 1/32", as I'm taking it easy, but the 5hp motor I salvaged from a Foley-Belsaw planer didn't even notice the load.

I added a dust chute but it appears to be missing some shavings; I'll address that soon.

Anybody wanna buy my smaller jointer now? There's an edge sander I want to build that needs the space!

Nickel test video: https://youtu.be/4uYMJGS2ZuM

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Nice job on the resto.
Don
(04-12-2019, 08:14 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I thought I had posted about this when I picked it up in September but can't find any thread on it.

Anyway, since I moved and got a bigger garage/shop, I wanted a replacement for my 1920-ish short bed 8" American Woodworker jointer.   My dollar limit, though, was a mere $500.  Perusing CL in September, this one popped up, for $500.  I jumped on it, and the seller said he'd hold it because he, too, was a member of www.owwm.org -- said he knew it would be loved properly by a member of that site.

It's a Frank H. Clement 12" machine, built sometime between 1885 and 1897.  It weighs in at about 900#.  That was with the old motor mounted, which I haven't removed.  The motor I put on adds about 85# to that.

It was a 13 hour round trip out to eastern Ohio, and well worth the drive.

I dropped another $500 in parts, tools, and paint to renew it, but think it's well worth the expense.

I was *really* nervous firing it up with blades for the first time last night--the cutter head utilizes a pair of bolted-on caps that squeeze the two knives to the head with four large bolts each.  There are no gibs.

I was really surprised at how loud this thing is.  The motor and bare cutter head were not quiet by any means--lots of air getting moved around, but the addition of blades makes it roar as it cuts through the air.

Despite all that noise, there's barely any vibration.  It passes the nickel test.

I tested it on a 6" wide piece of maple last night.  My depth of cut was only about 1/32", as I'm taking it easy, but the 5hp motor I salvaged from a Foley-Belsaw planer didn't even notice the load.

I added a dust chute but it appears to be missing some shavings; I'll address that soon.

Anybody wanna buy my smaller jointer now?  There's an edge sander I want to build that needs the space!

Nickel test video:  https://youtu.be/4uYMJGS2ZuM

Nice find and great work on the rehab. 

--
See ya later,
Bill
Now that's cool! (+something to add enough characters)
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Running video!

It's sniping at the end; need to adjust the table up a bit.

https://youtu.be/KsKho6B76x4
Semper fi,
Brad

I see the new motor hanging under the middle, but did you say the old motor is still under the outfeed table?  

That’s a sweet sound.  But I’m getting puckering when I see that stock pass the cutter head and no guard swing in to cover it.  
Raised
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Yeah, I'm gonna take the original to a shop and see whether it's worth repairing.

The guard is a Surty; I'm not used to its style and operation. It's mounted but I gotta figure it out.
Semper fi,
Brad

Cool
Cool  ..............
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

It looks great.  Nice work on the restore.
(04-15-2019, 01:52 PM)stav Wrote: It looks great.  Nice work on the restore.

I saw that and thought, Why did he mount a seat to his jointer?

Great looking Jointer.
WoodTinker