If the perfect chisel or plane iron was made
  Re: If the perfect chisel or plane iron was made by Arlin Eastman (What metals and how ...)
Three qualities to the steel: hold an edge, get sharp, easy to sharpen. Generally, these are not easy to find in the same steel. Currently, Japanese laminated white steel tends to be this way (although this is a generalisation - some cutting layers are harder than others). In modern Western steel, powdered metal has taken over from hammering the steel to achieve fine grain, and the carbides, which hold the edge, can get fine.

Thin blades, size of lands, handle design, length of blade, etc, etc ... how will all agree on what are individual choices?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at http://www.inthewoodshop.com
  Re: RE: If the perfect chisel or plane iron was made by adamcherubini ([quote='Arlin Eastma...)
(04-15-2019, 07:51 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Super easy answer. Good late 18th c, early 19th c hand made laminated plane irons and large chisels..

The laminated blades had super high carbon steel that got pretty hard, but remained easy to sharpen due to there being very little of it in the thickness. The bulk of the blade including most of the bevel was wrought iron or low carbon steel.

Edge holding has to do with grain size and impurities, that's why late 18th, early 19th when the steel was of better quality. By the mid 19th c they started dumbing down edge tools, drop forging etc. The laminated blades are said to possess shock absorbing properties that help with edge retention.

The act of cold working steel typically has the (in the 18th c probably unintended) effect of reducing grain size which both strengthened the steel (by reducing pockets of impurities) while allowing the steel to take fine smooth edges.

The lack of pro level customers, the race for market share and mass production ended the age of high end hand made edge tools in the UK.

I agree here. I use 19th century cast steel chisels from England exclusively. The majority of mine are from before 1840, which are somewhat nicer than the later stuff. This steel sharpens quickly, full bevel, terrific edge.
  Re: RE: If the perfect chisel or plane iron was made by Arlin Eastman (There are tons of me...)
(04-15-2019, 12:35 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: There are tons of metals out there and just wondering if any of them might work like M42, M8  steel or others like that.

Something like O1 or A2 inside and M8 outside.  Kind of thinking out the box.

I've got some M2, CPM 3v, and 10V

There are tradeoffs for sure.  I love the 10V!  But I use diamonds when I sharpen.

It stays sharp for a long time but I also love O1 as it is so easy to sharpen.
Peter

My "day job"