Looking for Design ideas, sort of Cupboard-like
  Re: Looking for Design ideas, sort of Cupboard-like by C. in Indy (Hi All, We have a...)
I like the direction you have chosen.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
  Re: Looking for Design ideas, sort of Cupboard-like by C. in Indy (Hi All, We have a...)
Thank you!   It may not finally suit the original room of intent, but it will be going *somewhere* in the house eventually.

I got the 4 stretchers into a miter-box and put 45-degree cuts on the ends of the tenons, so everything could fit together.  Then it definitely looked too bulky.  I thought I would further taper the legs before reducing any of the stretcher-lengths or leg-lengths.   My hand rip-saw is really better on hardwood than on poplar, so I just ended up using my first-ever (2009) home-built jack/scrub plane to lighten the legs.  Partly inspired by the example cabinet in the prior postings, I decided to have some tapering-from-vertical on all 16 of the leg surfaces.   This is a work in progress.

In the process I could see the laminated poplars were "down on the corner, starting to unwind", so I did additional truing on them.  A great stress-buster.  Only a small percentage of the shavings are in the picture.

The cardboard box which was hanging around the basement was already a pretty neat size-estimator.  Then I turned it on its side so I could envision cabinet-doors!  Great fun on a rainy morning.  The rest of the weekend will be shot on other stuff.

Happy Woodworking,
Chris
Chris
  Re: RE: Looking for Design ideas, sort of Cupboard-like by C. in Indy (Thank you!   It may ...)
(05-04-2019, 08:53 AM)C. in Indy Wrote:   Great fun on a rainy morning.  The rest of the weekend will be shot on other stuff.

That piece looks pretty cool.... 

I on the other hand have weather of the opposite, crappy, sort, and need to get out and attack the yard jungle. Ugh!
Ol' "Tortoise Boy" continues thinking about the job.

The 3/4-hp, 11-inch bandsaw was busy yesterday resawing a number of pieces to stretch those board-feet.  Here, I have taped some yet-to-be-planed ash samples on the cardboard, to mull it over:

I've got some old pine (or other SPF) reclaimed posts which plane up pretty nice after resawing... I counted past 30 rings per inch at the central area of the board.  Too nice to just hide away, I think, so they'll likely be parts of the sides of the unit:

Happy Woodworking,
Chris
Chris