Looking for Design ideas, sort of Cupboard-like
The Ash planks for the front doors are some of the prettier wood I've saved for a while.  They are not trivial for planing!

I miter-cut them one at a time to begin some shoulder excisions.  I left some excess on the ends to help identify my best board-sequence, etc.:

Then the glue-ups were done, still looking ugly!

After some shoulder-cleaning with the LN140, they began to come together in test fits with walnut breadboard end stock.  Here is the sequence as it will appear when done.  Note, the cutoffs at the top helped me remember which piece goes where:

Thanks for watching
Chris
Chris
I had a couple hours before the July 4 activities pulled me out.

The doors are now working, hinged, and lapping over each other slightly at the center.  Time for some more walk-around inspections and maybe some small design alterations here and there:

Chris
Chris
Looking good.  I like the hinges.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Thanks again!

The thing looked ungainly and I couldn't put my finger on what was wrong.   Well... I dropped a plumb line this evening and saw that I had installed the rear two tapered legs backward!  Ugghh... I really checked those a lot before glue-up, I thought.

Anyway, the cabinet Top and the leg-section are still detachable, so I made a number of taper adjustments, added some chamfers, tried to better emphasize the front overhang of the top-trim, etc.   It's coming along, and I'm almost to the point of darkening the legs... optimistic that obscuring the poplar glue-lines on the legs should also help.

Chris
Chris
The legs are now painted!   This is the first time I tried milk paint -- Pitch Black at that.  It was pretty enjoyable.   Black legs are already used on a few purchased pieces in our living room and kitchen table-set, so this goes along to that extent.   The upper cabinet doesn't have any finish yet:

Chris
Chris
Wow, it’s a very striking contrast. Looking forward to the grand reveal.
Thanks for taking us along for the process!
Thanks!   Some more details need working through:

I got out a nice air-dried walnut chunk inherited from Uncle Don's shop:

These knobs were done on an (electrical) "pole" lathe
Smile

Prototyping a "dogbone" piece for functional trials.  When/if I get to a good shape, I'll make a real one out of the shop-make plywood shown there as well:

Couple of pictures of the hardboard dogbone in use:

Other details, I had to go back and fix some dovetail blowout from my top-mortising activity (back end of the case):

Chris
Chris
Man, I have been too busy and tired lately.   But I switched to cardboard and scissors for mock-ups, and that 'dogbone' is morphing from the John-Lennon-Sgt-Pepper look toward a 'vaudeville' look that emulates the hinges....

Chris
Chris
That is the LOOK!  Go for it.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood