Zero turn mower
Trying to decide between a Ferris IS600 and a bad boy maverick zero turn mower. Both have a type of suspension. Ferris has shocks and springs. Maverick has rubber bushings. I have a very rough yard do to crawfish. Trying to also fix that this year. Anyway yard is also wet do to the amount of rain we get. Southeast Texas. Need traction but don’t want to sink. Ferris has 22x11 tires and weighs about 950 lbs. Mavericks tires are 23 x11 and it weighs about 850. Was leaning toward the Ferris because I think it has a better suspension and cost a little less. But now I am concerned with tire ruts due to the weight. Any thoughts or experiences
Thanks
Gary
I've been using a 60" Dixon (~900 #) for the last 10 years or so, and it seems to me it would have to be so wet for ruts you wouldn't be able to mow...at least that's been my experience in the NW Oh. clay. The bigger downside(s) are 1) the ride and 2) lack of traction when it's either very dry or just slightly wet. I swore my next one will have suspension and a suspension seat (a very valuable option if it's available) and bar tread tires. The higher weight probably won't contribute to any rutting problem very much...if it makes ruts at 850# (+you) it will also make them at 950# (+you), so I wouldn't give that much consideration. In quickly looking at the 2 specs, it looks like they share the hydraulic pump, and the Bad boy has some optional engines that may well be worth considering. I think the stock Kohler Confident engine is the one Kohler makes in China...and is probably the same one I have on my Dixon (called Courage). These engines get poo-pooed on-line, but to be honest mine hasn't had any problems at all. I have more faith in the Ferris name, but I think either one will serve you well. Some dealers will let you do a test cut, maybe see if you can try out both. Personally I'd go with the Ferris because that suspension is nice. But if you want to move up a notch look at the Altoz. I may make it my next mower, I'm fairly certain you won't have any ruts or traction issues with it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have a 54" Graveley; it weighs about 650 pounds.

I cut three acres every 7-10 days during the height of the mowing season.  The first couple of seasons I mowed the same pattern around my acreage; and I started noticing ruts.  I knew before we moved out here that one needs to mix up the mowing pattern to avoid ruts, so I got serious about that.  It helps greatly.

There are a few areas on the property that don't lend themselves to a changing cut pattern and that's where rutting is the worst.  I think changing up the cut pattern will be more useful in avoiding ruts in your grass than trading off one mower over another to save a few pounds.

Edited to add: My Graveley has no suspension. I upgraded the seat last year to a spring suspension seat and it makes all the difference in the world in terms of being able to sit on the machine and cut the whole place in one session. My recommendation is to get the suspension you want to ride on because I don't think unit weight is the most important factor in cut quality and avoidance of rutting.
I have a Gravely that has an air ride seat I tried a couple others and they rode rough.  I had a Cub Cadet that had the pivot front axle that was't to bad.
(04-18-2019, 09:34 PM)garmar60 Wrote: Trying to decide between a Ferris IS600 and a bad boy maverick zero turn mower. Both have a type of suspension. Ferris has shocks and springs. Maverick has rubber bushings. I have a very rough yard do to crawfish. Trying to also fix that this year. Anyway yard is also wet do to the amount of rain we get. Southeast Texas. Need traction but don’t want to sink. Ferris has 22x11 tires and weighs about 950 lbs. Mavericks tires are 23 x11 and it weighs about 850. Was leaning toward the Ferris because I think it has a better suspension and cost a little less. But now I am concerned with tire ruts due to the weight.  Any thoughts or experiences
Thanks
Gary

Both are good mowers. I think you are on the right path. The suspension on the Ferris will ride better. Buying a mower by weight is not a bad idea. I have a Snapper Pro which is a sister brand of Ferris. I have had it for 3 years and it has been perfect.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
As for brands allot has to do with what is available to you locally. Here no one has ever heard of Ferris, Maverick,simplicity and many others. They are very location dependant. You also won't see anyone running a Toro or snapper anymore either as those are just homeowner brands here now. Gravely is #1 here just because they have the biggest dealer network here of the brands.

Also here mowing season is 8-9 months or so however you cut less than northern places as grass doesn't grow very fast most of the year.

Buy what you like with the features you want and one you can get parts for locally. Oh and suspension on a ZTR is pretty much a must IMO.
You could look at the full suspension Exmark mowers.  I tried one and it did ride nice.  Around here most landscapers use either Exmark or Scag
(04-21-2019, 06:46 AM)fixtureman Wrote: You could look at the full suspension Exmark mowers.  I tried one and it did ride nice.  Around here most landscapers use either Exmark or Scag

Once you get to about $6500, it is hard to find a bad zero turn. You just have to decide what items are most important. I rank them in order of to me:good service nearby, hydro unit,price,deck,engine,seat and/or suspension,controls. This is just for me. This list could be different for different people.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
(04-22-2019, 07:12 AM)messmaker Wrote: Once you get to about $6500, it is hard to find a bad zero turn. You just have to decide what items are most important. I rank them in order of to me:good service nearby, hydro unit,price,deck,engine,seat and/or suspension,controls. This is just for me. This list could be different for different people.

True dat...

My Graveley is my first, and so far only, ZT mower.  I picked it for quality, and the price was about the max I could afford at the time.  I bought it the same day we closed on our acreage; it was May 14th, and the grass had yet to be cut that season.  At $4500, it was an expensive purchase for me, but the next step up to get more comfort with a suspension was priced in the upper $5K's.

The Graveley has been very good for me.  Absolutely reliable and it cuts fast.  While I don't mind mowing, there are plenty of other things to do, and cutting the whole place in under two hours means I can do that after I get home from work.  It's not "Dixie Chopper fast", but it also didn't cost $10K+.
OP, Both units have the same transmission, which is the biggest thing to compare. I'd go for the Ferris due to the suspension. I have a Simplicity, which is identical to the Ferris IS2100 and it is a nice ride.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry