it's always something, new sink edition
We got granite countertops and a new undermount sink.  It's all really nice, except the sink is really deep, 10", which I guess is the style nowadays.  So I plumb everything up and had to do some reconfiguring with the drain to get it all hooked up as one might expect.  Then I realized everything is under water.  So tomorrow's project is to unhook all the plumbing and lower the drain in the wall.  Argh.

I lobbied unsuccessfully for a few minutes to just get rid of the disposal.  We don't use it very much since the line got clogged and we had to call a plumber, but it still gets some use. I'm not positive that that would fully solve the problem, the bottom of the sink drain baskets would still be pretty close to the drain in the wall.
Common issue when renovating kitchens.  Make sure to put some blocks under the stinking, failure prone, blockage inducing invention of the devil.  Its new trick is pulling undermount sinks loose.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

blocking is a good idea.  Or I might fabricate a bracket.
Thanks for sharing your pain on this one.  We're in the planning phase of a kitchen facelift; it will involve new counters and a new sink.  We're likely to go deeper on the sink; your experience is something I'll keep in mind as the plan fleshes out.

The one advantage we (I) have is that we're on a septic system and we don't use our disposals.  All of the usual materials sent down a disposal are instead sent to the trash or out to the compost pile.
I see that the new normal for wall drains is 16" from the finished floor.  Not sure how much above that you can go and still use a 10" sink. But if you are getting the counters out, that's a good time to call the plumber

We compost too, which is why we don't use the disposal that much.
(04-20-2019, 07:28 AM)WxMan Wrote: Thanks for sharing your pain on this one.  We're in the planning phase of a kitchen facelift; it will involve new counters and a new sink.  We're likely to go deeper on the sink; your experience is something I'll keep in mind as the plan fleshes out.

The one advantage we (I) have is that we're on a septic system and we don't use our disposals.  All of the usual materials sent down a disposal are instead sent to the trash or out to the compost pile.

Not sure if you have done this before but if you have a counter over the sink that usually adds another inch to the depth and many shorter people have trouble reaching the bottom and it can also be a problem for taller people because the need to lean over to reach the bottom.  I have seen more than a few Asian households insist on the deeper sink as they believe it is higher end only to find that the women can't work in the sink comfortably
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(04-20-2019, 06:24 AM)EricU Wrote: blocking is a good idea.  Or I might fabricate a bracket.

Or use this. Works really well and is cheap and easy to install.

https://www.braxton-bragg.com/hercules-u...s-kit.html
that harness system is interesting.  

Bob, I never thought about the reach to the bottom of the sink.  But my daughter is the shortest person in the household and she did the dishes last night without complaining, so we are probably okay.
(04-21-2019, 08:09 AM)EricU Wrote: that harness system is interesting.  

Bob, I never thought about the reach to the bottom of the sink.  But my daughter is the shortest person in the household and she did the dishes last night without complaining, so we are probably okay.

I first saw the harnesses when we had our countertops replaced with granite and undermount sinks. The granite installer
said that he used them on all of his installs and never  had any issues.
(04-20-2019, 07:28 AM)WxMan Wrote: Thanks for sharing your pain on this one.  We're in the planning phase of a kitchen facelift; it will involve new counters and a new sink.  We're likely to go deeper on the sink; your experience is something I'll keep in mind as the plan fleshes out.

AFAIC, a disposal is for the stuff that gets down the drain accidentally... especially with a septic.  
Yes