School me on Pressure Washers
(04-20-2019, 09:21 AM)Woodshop Wrote: The best pump is a CAT the best reliable engine is Honda and the best is a variety of nozzles but include a Turbo

This. I used to do sales and tech support for Northern Tool and this combo was always the most reliable, best performing and well liked.
Jason

(04-20-2019, 09:35 AM)Jason28 Wrote: This. I used to to sales and tech support for Northern Tool and this combo was always the most reliable, best performing and well liked.

Ah, you reminded me, it was Northern, and the replacement was a CAT.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
You may call around to the HD rental stores and see if they have any used ones for sale. I picked up an Italian made Landa with Honda motor for $400. 2750 psi pump which is perfect for decks, fences, and wood, IMO. The PW I bought had 100 hours on it and HD takes good care of their rental equipment at the locations near me.

These are all very good tips!

(04-20-2019, 07:50 AM)JDuke Wrote: I really like the surface cleaner gizmo, looks kind of like a small lawn mower deck and has a pair of nozzles under it that rotate to clean a wider swath on your driveway, really a time saver on cleaning a large surface.
It wont clean as well as direct pressure from the wand, but it covers 12-14 inches wide vs 2-4 so will decrease time spent washing significantly.

JDuke - I was at Costco today and they had a unit on sale.  "Powerstroke" branded with a Yamaho 190cc.  What interested me was that it had that "mower deck surface cleaner thingamajig" which you described.  Plus it was only $290 (marked down from $350).  I passed though since it wasn't a Honda.

\Woodshop" Wrote:The best pump is a CAT the best reliable engine is Honda and the best is a variety of nozzles but include a Turbo
I got a 3200 psi from HD on Clearance it was branded Dewalt, but that doesn't matter, its the components your after if you want reliability. That was 15 years ago, still absolutely no problems today. put gas in it and change oil occasionally. a couple hundred dollars yon't matter down the road.

I stepped into Home Depot to see what they had for sale in the rental area.  Lo and behold, they had a sign indicating one of their used pressure washers were for sale but it was already gone.  Impressive beast as I looked at the model that was part of their rental fleet - much more substantial than the unit at Costco.  The For Sale sign showed an MSRP $1053 but marked down to $515.  It had a Honda GX270 motor, but I didn't know what/how to look for the pump brand.  A bit more than what I wanted spend, though, and I'll keep looking.
(04-20-2019, 06:57 PM)Cian Wrote: These are all very good tips!

JDuke - I was at Costco today and they had a unit on sale.  "Powerstroke" branded with a Yamaho 190cc.  What interested me was that it had that "mower deck surface cleaner thingamajig" which you described.  Plus it was only $290 (marked down from $350).  I passed though since it wasn't a Honda.

I stepped into Home Depot to see what they had for sale in the rental area.  Lo and behold, they had a sign indicating one of their used pressure washers were for sale but it was already gone.  Impressive beast as I looked at the model that was part of their rental fleet - much more substantial than the unit at Costco.  The For Sale sign showed an MSRP $1053 but marked down to $515.  They had a Honda GX270 motor, but I didn't know what/how to look for the pump brand.  A bit more than what I wanted spend, though, and I'll keep looking.

I've had a cheap Homelight from HD for 10 plus years .... Does the job ... starts on first pull. That unit that Bluepine linked looks like a nice unit for the price. Don't overthink or overpay.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(04-20-2019, 06:57 PM)Cian Wrote:  The For Sale sign showed an MSRP $1053 but marked down to $515.  They had a Honda GX270 motor, but I didn't know what/how to look for the pump brand.

Pump brand is easy,   No need , Just look for the BLUE 

[Image: a1578171_2000x2000.jpg]
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
I bought a Black Max Brand 2700PSI/2.5GPM unit from Sams about 5 years ago and it has served me well.   The guy in this video isn't a great salesman nor does he keep his tools clean, but he does give a good review of the machine I have.    If you're cleaning concrete, it will take quite a while even with a big hi-pressure/volume washer.

One caution for those living in colder climes, after every use be sure to run the engine for ten seconds or so with all the hoses removed to allow all the water to be pushed out of the pump. Ice is powerful stuff and it'll ruin a pump with the first hard freeze.
GX honda motors are the professional designation, cast iron bore | GC are aluminum consumer grade.

Dunno what brand is on the handle of mine, but it's a Honda gx motor, Cat pump, and has performed well for 10 years or more. I have one of the surface cleaners as noted, was about $80 iirc and does a great job. I've had to replace the hose once due to fittings being crap at the end of the factory unit, but the new hose is longer (~40' or so) and that was a boon regardless.

Just follow a good small engine maintenance schedule and it'll last you a long time.

Northern tools selection on them is awesome!

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
Mine is from NorthernTool and is probably closer to twenty years old than not.
Honda engine, I think a GX.   Never a lick of problem with it.  I have even loaned
it out to Brothers in law, a neighbor and years ago, my mother.  It always starts,
always works.

I looked on their site just now. What you want will run around $800. But it will
likely be the last one you ever buy.

As someone said above, buy once cry once.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I have several of the Honda GX clone engines like the Predator series at Harbor Freight and have no issues with any of them I wouldn't worry about it.