School me on Pressure Washers
(04-21-2019, 11:18 PM)Mike in kc Wrote: One caution for those living in colder climes, after every use be sure to run the engine for ten seconds or so with all the hoses removed to allow all the water to be pushed out of the pump.   Ice is powerful stuff and it'll ruin a pump with the first hard freeze.

I have a short bit of garden hose with female fitting I screw onto the water inlet, and using a funnel, I pour some RV antifreeze into the pump suction and crank it by hand until it's pushing out only antifreeze, then just pump by hand until almost empty.  I probably don't really need the antifreeze if the water is out, but it makes me feel better.  I should probably use some pump lube and anti-corrosion in there, too, I suppose.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(04-25-2019, 03:12 PM)MichaelS Wrote: GX honda motors are the professional designation, cast iron bore | GC are aluminum consumer grade...

Just follow a good small engine maintenance schedule and it'll last you a long time.

(04-25-2019, 06:23 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: I looked on their site just now. What you want will run around $800. But it will
likely be the last one you ever buy.

As someone said above, buy once cry once.

Thanks for the info.  I don't mind spending a little more if it is warranted.  I'll revisit the Home Depots to see if I can find another rental queen for sale.
(04-19-2019, 11:47 PM)Cian Wrote: Hey gang -

I've come around to the point that I feel I need a pressure washer.  At minimum, I have my concrete driveway and patio to clean off.  We've been in our home 18 years and have never washed the surrounding walkway or driveway, and we're now planning to move in about two years.  I have a lot of "dirt" (is there a better word?) on the walkway surfaces.  I also have a white rock border around the landscaping and thats lookin' pretty cruddy too.

I was thinking of spending about $300-$400.  My inital notion was to just go to the local warehouse club and pick out whatever decent looking machine had a Honda motor.  However, what else should I look for?  Is there anything to consider with advertised pressure ratings and GPMs?  Any specific attachments I must have?  What about hose length?

Thanks all!

I'm going to throw in some advice counter to the conventional wisdom. Just buy a cheap ($100) electric pressure washer. Consider it disposable. I've had mine going on 3 seasons. I used to have a mid-range gas PW and it was always a PIA for something you only use once or twice a year. Either the pump or engine will inevitably give you trouble- unless you spend the big bucks on the high end model and keep up on maintenance. Electric motor always starts on the first pull (until it doesn't, then just throw it away). It has its drawbacks, but I find I use it more now for things like washing the car, cleaning off the outdoor furniture, and light cleaning. If you want to blast off the top layer of your concrete driveway, rent a heavy duty one. YMMV, but I've been happy with the cheapo electric the last few years.
(04-26-2019, 08:31 AM)ajkoontz Wrote: I'm going to throw in some advice counter to the conventional wisdom. Just buy a cheap ($100) electric pressure washer. Consider it disposable. I've had mine going on 3 seasons. I used to have a mid-range gas PW and it was always a PIA for something you only use once or twice a year. Either the pump or engine will inevitably give you trouble- unless you spend the big bucks on the high end model and keep up on maintenance. Electric motor always starts on the first pull (until it doesn't, then just throw it away). It has its drawbacks, but I find I use it more now for things like washing the car, cleaning off the outdoor furniture, and light cleaning. If you want to blast off the top layer of your concrete driveway, rent a heavy duty one. YMMV, but I've been happy with the cheapo electric the last few years.

I appreciate the counterpoint, AJ.  Valid points.
Turbo nozzles can be great ... for some applications ... in the hands of an experienced user.   They can also destroy a LOT of concrete without the user even being aware of it until after everything dries out.   A foolproof method for cleaning concrete is to get a small surface cleaner ... pre-treat the concrete with Sodium Hypochlorite/surfactant ... clean with the surface cleaner ... post-treat with more SH.   It will be free of streaks & swirls, and will stay cleaner, longer.

I will second what ajkootz said. I think there is a lot of money wasted on super powered pressure washers. They are great if you are taking the paint off of something like a sand blaster. But, those should almost never be used on a concrete driveway, masonry house, or a wood deck. They can, and usually, do a great deal of harm. I bought a small electric model a couple of years ago; about 2000 psi, I think. It is more than adequate for general cleaning around the home. And, even it will damage things if I'm not careful. As ajkootz said, it starts on the first pull. It is also cheaper, no need to store gas and oil, it's quieter, and it gets the job done (unless you are stripping oil storage tanks or something).
(04-26-2019, 06:53 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I have a short bit of garden hose with female fitting I screw onto the water inlet, and using a funnel, I pour some RV antifreeze into the pump suction and crank it by hand until it's pushing out only antifreeze, then just pump by hand until almost empty.  I probably don't really need the antifreeze if the water is out, but it makes me feel better.  I should probably use some pump lube and anti-corrosion in there, too, I suppose.

This is basically what I have been doing for years except I use air pressure to push the RV antifreeze through the pump.  Roly
Another endorsement of a cheapo electric pressure washer. My 3000psi gas PW ran great for 3 years until it sat for a year. My cheapo 1750psi ran great for 6 years and cost 1/4 the price. I also highly recommend the adjustable nozzle for pinpoint stream to wide brush. When I was cleaning "stuff" I found I wanted to change tips often. The adjustable nozzle saves time.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
(04-29-2019, 09:10 AM)Eurekan Wrote: Another endorsement of a cheapo electric pressure washer. My 3000psi gas PW ran great for 3 years until it sat for a year. My cheapo 1750psi ran great for 6 years and cost 1/4 the price. I also highly recommend the adjustable nozzle for pinpoint stream to wide brush. When I was cleaning "stuff" I found I wanted to change tips often. The adjustable nozzle saves time.

Just remember the pressure rating is only one factor.  The GPM determines how useful it is.   A pin point stream will take forever to clean a large area.   Think of a garden hose and a 2 1/5" fire hose both running at 100psi, a lot different in the effectiveness.   They do make commercial quality electric pressure washers but they are not cheap. 
get the one that fits the intended usage and use the correct nozzle which prevents damage .  Roly
I have an old Simpson washer I bought from Glidden to clean Revco drugstore sidewalks and fronts.  I blow the water out in the winter with compressed air.  Loaded it to the neighbor to clean his deac and he took the wood off.  He used my water blaster nozzle instead of the one I showed him to use. I do have a sand injector also for removing gum and tar from the side walks