Price of Shellac Flakes
Is there is a difference in the quality of shellac flakes? BT&C sells for $84/lb; Old World sells for $31/lb and J.E. Moser sells for $50/lb. That is quite a spread for what appears to be a generic product. If so, what is the difference?
Thank you in advance.
This is all speculation on my part, but it might be that the processing for the different grades (colors) of shellac has something to do with it. I've used JE Moser's products and one other whose name I've forgot...along with some from a place called Weller Mart. They (Weller mart) seem to be a little cheaper than the others and in overall quality I can't tell the difference between any of them. BTW, Weller Mart sells sample packs of the various colors so you can try before you buy.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(04-20-2019, 11:26 AM)fredhargis Wrote: This is all speculation on my part, but it might be that the processing for the different grades (colors) of shellac has something to do with it. I've used JE Moser's products and one other whose name I've forgot...along with some from a place called Weller Mart. They (Weller mart) seem to be a little cheaper than the others and in overall quality I can't tell the difference between any of them. BTW, Weller Mart sells sample packs of the various colors so you can try before you buy.

I buy my flake shellacs from Wellermart. Top quality, dewaxed, and good selection. I use the blonde, amber, garnet, and ruby. Amber, garnet, and ruby are particularly useful in restoration and refinishing older furniture from 1880s upward until the rise of spray lacquers.

95% of the time I use a 1lb cut and dissolve it using a magnetic stirrer that does a great job. Otherwise, strain it through a coffee filter to remove clumps.

This also works as a seal coat and is cheaper than Zissner.
Remember - You're not a "real" woodworker unless you do exactly as another woodworker says you must do. It's called "The True Woodworker Fallacy."
Thank you to fredhargis and chapeleastland. I will call a couple of service departments and see if we can get a more definitive answer.
Have you looked here?

https://www.shellac.net/dewaxed_shellac.html
(04-25-2019, 06:59 AM)Scoony Wrote: Have you looked here?

https://www.shellac.net/dewaxed_shellac.html

I had not.  Thank you for the source. 
Bill
BT&C has always been costlier than other sources. If memory is correct, it is processed in Germany, whatever that means.... I actually got some that must have sat on a sun exposed display at our favorite Yuppy Wood Store for a couple years. I was desperate. Yes, it was crap when mixed; the last time I bought it from a brick and mortar store.

The lesson: Old or damaged flakes don't dissolve well, or ever. And, the glass drop test always confirms.
(04-20-2019, 11:20 AM)Bill Lyman Wrote: Is there is a difference in the quality of shellac flakes? BT&C sells for $84/lb; Old World sells for $31/lb and J.E. Moser sells for $50/lb. That is quite a spread for what appears to be a generic product. If so, what is the difference?
Thank you in advance.

I have always bought dewaxed shellac flakes from  https://www.shellac.net/dewaxed_shellac.html. I have always had very good results with their dewaxed shellacs. Haven't tried waxed versions. They are currently selling 1 lb for around $ 40, give or take a couple of bucks depending on the specific color. If stored correctly ( dark cool place) the flakes will last years. I usually buy Super Blonde and let time age the wood to the final color.
(04-20-2019, 12:13 PM)chapeleastland Wrote: I buy my flake shellacs from Wellermart. Top quality, dewaxed, and good selection. I use the blonde, amber, garnet, and ruby. Amber, garnet, and ruby are particularly useful in restoration and refinishing older furniture from 1880s upward until the rise of spray lacquers.

95% of the time I use a 1lb cut and dissolve it using a magnetic stirrer that does a great job. Otherwise, strain it through a coffee filter to remove clumps.

This also works as a seal coat and is cheaper than Zissner.

Really?  Sealcoat shellac costs about $40/gal at my local HD.  You can't buy two pounds of shellac flakes and a gallon of DNA for that.  

I use Sealcoat for everything.  No muss, no fuss.  And by adding Transtint dye to it I can make any color I want.  

John