MLCS Rocky 30
I am thinking of replacing my Bosch Colt trim router with the Rocky 30 from MLCS. Anybody care to comment positive or negative?
It looks like a rebadged makita clone. I have the makita and have no issues with it.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

Curious as to why you want to replace the Colt.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(04-21-2019, 07:31 PM)museumguy Wrote: Curious as to why you want to replace the Colt.

I have had trouble with it holding a depth setting. Really had to crank down on the lock to get it to hold. Also it has no guard / dust chute over the area by the chuck / bit. It got me on the finger a couple weeks back.
I bought a colt once and had the same issue with the depth setting not holding. Ruined a work piece. Luckily I realized soon enough after buying it that I was able to return it.
-Marc

Carbide3D sells a vacation of the Rocky with their CNC machines that has electronic speed control built in. Just learned that the other day.
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
Confirming the difficulty with the Colt holding its depth setting.  Haven't used it since it ruined a work piece for me.
(04-21-2019, 02:20 PM)castguy2003 Wrote: I am thinking of replacing my Bosch Colt trim router with the Rocky 30 from MLCS. Anybody care to comment positive or negative?

The Rocky appears to be nearly the same trim router Grizzly sells, both based on Makita's.  I have the Grizzly and a friend gave me some accessories from his Rocky the fit just fine, as do others I bought for a Makita.  Not sure what the HP is on the Rocky.  The Grizzly is 1 HP and the Makita is 1.25, IIRC.  I can confirm that you definitely can overload the Grizzly if you try to take too large a cut with too large a bit on it, but for the things I normally use it for, hinge mortises, small chamfers, etc., it works great.  And my friend liked his Rocky so much he bought a second one.  The depth adjustment is a bit coarse compared to my Ridgid, but the locking lever holds without issue.  FWIW, I like the Ridgid better overall.  I only bought the Grizzly because it was a super deal and included a plunge base which is not available for the Ridgid.  

John
Been using a Colt for 10 years, just bought a new one and will be rebuilding the first. 

Never had an issue with the base lock.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(04-22-2019, 09:34 AM)jteneyck Wrote: The Rocky appears to be nearly the same trim router Grizzly sells, both based on Makita's.  I have the Grizzly and a friend gave me some accessories from his Rocky the fit just fine, as do others I bought for a Makita.  Not sure what the HP is on the Rocky.  The Grizzly is 1 HP and the Makita is 1.25, IIRC.  I can confirm that you definitely can overload the Grizzly if you try to take too large a cut with too large a bit on it, but for the things I normally use it for, hinge mortises, small chamfers, etc., it works great.  And my friend liked his Rocky so much he bought a second one.  The depth adjustment is a bit coarse compared to my Ridgid, but the locking lever holds without issue.  FWIW, I like the Ridgid better overall.  I only bought the Grizzly because it was a super deal and included a plunge base which is not available for the Ridgid.  

John
I sold a Bosch and bought a Grizzly mainly for the plunge base. I wanted a light compact plunge router and didn't feel like paying as much for a Bosch plunge base as I paid for the whole Grizzly kit on sale. I also had an early Colt so had the depth adjustment challenges, I was able to get it to work but it was not a favorite. I haven't used the Grizzly beyond playing with it and making sure there were no issues with it. If I just wanted a trim router I'd probably have kept the Bosch but I wanted plunge capability as well.