"Bolt" and wingnut from Stanley 150 frozen
The piece on the 150 I'm calling a bolt sits flush to the vertical wall and has no slot or other means to free the bolt from a wing nut that attaches on the other side of that wall. It holds a" length gauge" aka a "stop".  I hope that the pictures do a better job explaining the issue  I've tried two different penetrants, with a day-long soaking, a small torch that puts out plenty of heat, and a day-long stint in the freezer.  (My wife launched into a tirade about my "stupid stunt", but I pointed out that I got rid of some old bags of frozen vegetables, mostly squash [which I refuse to eat anyway).

I've thought about using some type of "easy out" device but I'm concerned that I'll destroy the bolt head, or be unable to penetrate it.  I have a small vice grip-type tool with narrow pointy jaws that will clear the wing nut when clamped on the threaded part of the bolt.  I tried that with a small narrow piece of leather, and used a wrench to hold the wings but no dice.  I worry that if I clamp down too hard, I'll mash the threads.

Any suggestions?

Also, anyone have an extra "length gauge" that I could buy or trade for?  (Mods-if I'm violating protocol with a solicitation like the above, please move this post to its proper spot.

Thanks,

Tony
So turning the wingnut also turns the bolt as they are "bonded" together, right?

Is there a way to get a clamp head on the threaded side/flush side of the bolt and then turn the wingnut?

Perhaps a shock (Bang one wing with a dowel and hammer) hit to the wingnut would loosen it up?
~Dan.
(04-21-2019, 06:17 PM)Tony (Charleston WV) Wrote: I've tried ... a small torch that puts out plenty of heat, and a day-long stint in the freezer..

Any suggestions?

From your description, it sounds like two distinct operations.

I suggest heating the wingnut, then immediately cooling the bolt.
(04-21-2019, 06:30 PM)Dan Moening Wrote: So turning the wingnut also turns the bolt as they are "bonded" together, right?

Is there a way to get a clamp head on the threaded side/flush side of the bolt and then turn the wingnut?

Perhaps a shock (Bang one wing with a dowel and hammer) hit to the wingnut would loosen it up?

+1 I would try this first.  If all else fails try cutting the wing nut with a Dremel tool just enough as to not damage threads and smack it again. Roly
(04-21-2019, 06:17 PM)Tony (Charleston WV) Wrote:  with a day-long soaking

Try a week long soak.

Or just cut off.

I came across a shotgun with chokes stuck in it. Soaked them in Kroil for a week, they broke loose maybe a 1/16" turn. Soaked them another week and they turned right out.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Before using penetrating fluid, wire brush the threads behind the wingnut until you see the crack between the bolt and the nut. That will break the dam and allow the fluid to wick in. Then you can use heat, shoot it again and allow to cool. That wicks more fluid. Next time you heat it , it should come free.
A man of foolish pursuits
Epoxy is your friend. Try a drop of epoxy on the bolt side and attach it to a stick long enough to hold onto while you work the wing nut. Once the nut is off, you can easily apply heat to the bolt and the epoxy will soften enough to break loose from the bolt. It's worth a try. Epoxy - not CA glue (super glue).
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-22-2019, 01:31 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: Before using penetrating fluid, wire brush the threads behind the wingnut until you see the crack between the bolt and the nut. That will break the dam and allow the fluid to wick in. Then you can use heat, shoot it again and allow to cool. That wicks more fluid.  Next time you heat it , it should come  free.

This ^^^^^^ . Plus patience, patience grasshopper.....  
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-22-2019, 02:24 PM)AHill Wrote: Epoxy is your friend.  Try a drop of epoxy on the bolt side and attach it to a stick long enough to hold onto while you work the wing nut.  Once the nut is off, you can easily apply heat to the bolt and the epoxy will soften enough to break loose from the bolt.  It's worth a try.  Epoxy - not CA glue (super glue).

Because of the surface area, I am not sure epoxy will hold a stick tightly enough to stop the bolt from turning, but I would try that first..If it doesn't hold I would clean all the epoxy off, shine the metal with sandpaper, then use a tin/lead solder to bond a piece of coat hanger wire to the bolt...It can be reheated and the solder cleaned off after the bolt has been removed.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

If you can't "soak" it loose … I'd weld a nut on the threads to hold it … you can grind off the weld once the wingnut is loose …

Just my 2 cents …

Red
Life is what happens when you're not paying attention.