When You Break the Safety Rules…
Wink 
There can be consequences.

Like the rule about where the other hand goes when using a chisel.  Yesterday, I jabbed my thumb with a 1/4” chisel.  Sharp pain at first, but then minimal.  Not much blood, but I went inside to wash and bandage.  Washed it, then noticed my hand was all bloody???  Ummm, the exit hole on the other side was bigger than the entrance I had been washing.  
Rolleyes  I started graying out.  Just barely got MrNomer called before I blacked out sitting at the table—from the experience, I guess, not from pain.  He got me to bed and I revived as soon as I got horizontal.  Still insignificant pain—no more than a mild bruise, minuscule bleeding only when pressed, no infection.  Everything's cool except I’ll be wearing bandaids for the foreseeable future.  Not even a Tylenol.  (Tetanus is current.)

[Image: F85-A4-F7-F-6-C52-4-C11-A98-D-4957-E4-EA47-F3.jpg]
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Thanks for the reminder Carolyn and so glad it wasn't something more serious (like losing a digit)! Best of luck with the recovery. Ironically, I "nicked" myself with a chisel also a few days ago. Bandaid and some Neosporin did the trick.

Doug
Ouch, though it sounds like you're in good shape for what could have been really serious. Don't be surprised if it starts hurting a little more over time. Sure glad that was all that happened, and like Tapper: thanks for the reminder.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(04-22-2019, 10:31 AM)MsNomer Wrote: There can be consequences.

Like the rule about where the other hand goes when using a chisel.  Yesterday, I jabbed my thumb with a 1/4” chisel.  Sharp pain at first, but then minimal.  Not much blood, but I went inside to wash and bandage.  Washed it, then noticed my hand was all bloody???  Ummm, the exit hole on the other side was bigger than the entrance I had been washing.  
Rolleyes   I started graying out.  Just barely got MrNomer called before I blacked out sitting at the table—from the experience, I guess, not from pain.  

Blood.  I've seen gallons and gallons of other people's no problem, but mine or a member of my family's makes me queasy. 

Nice mallet does two things for you.  First, it gives greater control, second, it occupies BOTH hands.  

I like to boil out penetrating wounds with peroxide.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Never had a through cut with a chisel.  You are obviously much better at sharpening than I.  Hope you heal up soon.
Be thankful it wasn't more serious. 

A kid on my team lost his thumb to a chop saw Saturday morning. They are going to be transplanting a toe to replace his thumb.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I have been hurt by non power tools than just about any tool.  For me the utility knife is the worse.

I won't mention my latest fight with my radial arm saw.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Xacto was my worst til now.

Amazing that it appears to have closed. No bandaid needed. I can use the hand normally.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
(04-22-2019, 06:44 PM)MsNomer Wrote: Xacto was my worst til now.  

Amazing that it appears to have closed.  No bandaid needed.  I can use the hand normally.

Xacto is my worst enemy most of the time.  I'm always amazed at how I can cut the hand that is holding the Xacto knife.  You must keep that little pinky out of the way!

Glad you're o.k. Carolyn.

Lonnie
Chisels hate me, and it seems I'm not the only one on the list.  Glad you weren't hurt worse.  

As I read your description of the chain of events, when you said you started graying out I started to get that quesy feeling that often comes from accidents like that.  With the ability to put the reader in the moment maybe you should take up writing novels.      

John