Wood ID help needed
Looks like grey or red elm to me.
Throw me in for white oak. Has some sapwood on that lower side
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Chestnut is half the hardness of white oak. If you can make an impression in the wood with your fingernail, it could be chestnut. I think it's white oak. The end grain of the two will tell the difference as well. Check out The Wood Database for pics of end grain.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
if you really want to know you can send a 1X3X6" piece to these guys and they will tell you what it is - free except for your postage.

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/research/cente...tsheet.php
(04-23-2019, 07:20 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Throw me in for white oak. Has some sapwood on that lower side

The lower part of the middle photo clearly shows very long medullary rays, typical of wood in the white oak family.  Wood from the red oak family usually has medullary rays about an inch or so wide.

Quarter saw that log and you'll have those big flecks of grain typically found in the blocky oak furniture of the early 1900s.
I got some more milling done today on my beams and I would now say they are white oak. I need to put this project on hold now, beams are too wet to continue. 

Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

Oak, almost certainly white. Look at how the sapwood is all punky but the heartwood is perfectly sound (other than the checks). That's what white oak does. Cool find. Hope you can build something appropriately rustic from it.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop