Bench Dog hole drilling jig?
I am building a split top workbench.
I just completed the bench top and ready to drill 3/4 inch holes.

Looking for suggestions , also ideas on jig .

Thanks
Veritas makes one. When I built my bench, I used the drill press before I had the top too large to handle.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

(04-22-2019, 08:36 PM)Jack01 Wrote: I am building a split top workbench.

Thanks

https://www.rockler.com/jig-it-drill-guide
Do you need something to just keep the holes perpendicular or something to space them out evenly? If the former, Just drill a 3/4" hole into a block of wood and then clamp the block onto your bench and use it as a drill bit guide. The guide block doesn't have to be any thicker than a couple of inches. If you need something to ensure even spacing of the holes, drill a second hole into your guide block the same distance you want your hole spacing, and attach a 3/4" dowel to one of the holes. Put the dowel into your first bench dog hole and now you've got a consistent distance between holes.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
3/4 endmill from McMaster and sandpaper to hold the router in place.

Gives you a hole perfectly square to the top.
Finish with a brad point drill.

Edit: Oh, this is hand tool forum. Sorry if this method violates the rules.
Jack, it is important to take your time and get the dog holes right (guess who didn't).  I made a quick "placement jig" and drilled free hand.  I have a great bench...but...it could have been better!  Wish I had done like you and asked.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
AgGEM's solution worked well for me. Easy and quick. Be sure to clamp a sacrificial board over the exit point for the brad point bit to prevent splintering when the bit breaks through your bench top.

I have a suggestion. Use your bench for a while before you drill the dog holes. You will find out where to drill the holes and how many you need. I did this because I didn't want to make Swiss cheese out of my bench top with a lot of unnecessary holes. After couple of months, I drilled one row of dog holes closer to the front of my bench top. A few of years later, I drilled a second set of them nearer the back edge of the top. I now have all I need and they are where I want them. I use them all and I have no unless ones.

Thanks

Brace and bit and some patience.

If you can't get it started square (lots of ways to do this by sight, simplest is to just watch the cutting edges engage and make sure they both start cutting at the same time) borrow some time on a drill press and drill a starter hole square in a block you can clamp in place. Use the block to line up the bit by its flutes.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I would use  a corded drill with a guide.

Thanks

The last time I built a bench, I used a 10" brace and a 3/4" auger bit. A couple squares on the bench to align the bit is all you need. No jigs required. If you want to get fancy, use a mirror so you can see both squares at the same time.
voigtplanes.com
blackdogswoodshop.blogspot.com