Easter egg display box
"Dearest husband, your sacred mission is to build me an Easter egg display box of the finest wood with which I shall impress my esteemed family when we host Easter dinner."

Okay, actually, my wife told me to build her a simple box to use as an egg centerpiece for Easter dinner. I may have exaggerated a bit. Her original idea was just a block of wood with holes drilled into it, as she found on Pinterest.

Wood is curly maple and cherry. Finish is several coats of spray on satin lacquer. I used the dovetail spline jig I built a week ago to strengthen the miters. Wood was resawn and oriented to create a continuous grain effect.

Yes, her family was mightily impressed by it. It led to several tours of my messy shop.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

It looks great.  Think of all the other non-egg related items you can display in there at non-Easter times of the year.  

Next time you take family for a tour of the shop, you should press them into clean up duties.
That's really nice...love that wood. Guess you forgot the part about "simple box", huh?
Laugh
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(04-23-2019, 07:40 AM)stav Wrote: It looks great.  Think of all the other non-egg related items you can display in there at non-Easter times of the year.  

Next time you take family for a tour of the shop, you should press them into clean up duties.

Ha! Several of the male family members were quite jealous that their wives wouldn't let them take over the garage as mine had.

(04-23-2019, 07:57 AM)fredhargis Wrote: That's really nice...love that wood. Guess you forgot the part about "simple box", huh?
Laugh

Honestly, for me, this is simple. Miter boxes are *very* easy to make, and the spline jig makes making them strong and pretty just as simple. It's easier than dovetail joinery!

I had a piece of curly maple that was just the right size for this, so that was a no-brainer.
Semper fi,
Brad

Very nice. .
Beautifully done!
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
Curly Maple in a piece is like Philly Cream cheese in food. Can't go wrong.
Nicely done!!!!
Gunners Mate, 1st Class, A long time ago...
Like I said on LJ’s: great looking!
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Gorgeous! Love how the grain follows around the corner.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(04-24-2019, 06:24 AM)shoottmx Wrote: Gorgeous! Love how the grain follows around the corner.

g

I used this method to get the effect:

http://keithlarrett.com/2013/05/11/conti...-on-a-box/
Semper fi,
Brad