Your Biggest Home Improvement Goof
(04-24-2019, 08:03 AM)stav Wrote: That isn't so bad, we still have the 1950's pink and mint green in one of our bathrooms. We're hoping to remodel that one soon-ish.

I see a lot of that in an area I inspect houses (Takoma Park). Some of it is 100 years old, some is new. I like it but because I like old things and old styles. Not a fan of pink and green toilets and tubs though.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(04-24-2019, 05:19 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I see a lot of that in an area I inspect houses (Takoma Park). Some of it is 100 years old, some is new. I like it but because I like old things and old styles. Not a fan of pink and green toilets and tubs though.

We did replace the pink toilet and sink with white ones, but we still have the pink tub.  If it weren't for that, we could replace the remaining pink tiles and just have a green bath that wouldn't be so bad.  

We still see houses with this old tile quite a bit here as well. We were looking at a listing two weeks ago that had the same bath with the colors reversed.  Where we had the pink, they had the green and where we had green, they had pink.  Glad we didn't get that house to start. I prefer more green to pink.
My biggest goofs involve kitchen countertops, too.

The first was more about poor planning.  We knew we wanted to do a tiled granite countertop but hadn't selected any of the tiles for the countertop or the backsplash before I started demoing the old countertops.  After demo I still needed to find a guy to do the bullnosing of the granite tiles we selected.  Anyway, we ended up using the plywood sub countertops for nearly a year.

The second involved an IKEA butcherblock countertop.  Instead of just applying a clear finish to the countertop, I added some dyes and sprayed it on.  It looked great.  After everything was fit together, I installed the 3 sections and bolted them together at great effort.  Somehow after one night (and even though the counters were flushed with dominoes), one counter raised up a hair in relation to the other.  Instead of finding a mechanical fix (shim?), I sanded this area flush back to bare wood.  I could never get the final finish to match the surrounding counters even though I had saved some of the original dye.  My wife would not let me disassemble and refinish it because she wanted to use the kitchen again.  I had to stare at that eyesore of an area for a whole year.  It mocked me.  Fast forward a year and we were selling our house.  I belt sanded ALL the countertops back to raw wood, reapplied the finish with dye, and the new owners were none the wiser.  At least someone got to enjoy it as it should have been.