Painting cedar question
I am going to build some framed cedar lattice panels to skirt my pier and beam house, and paint them.   I've read that if you are going to paint cedar that you must prime it with an oil based primer first before painting.  Is this true?  I've also been told recently that is an old way of thinking and that it's hard to even find oil based primer and that todays' water based primer will do the job just fine.  I want to get this right and not have the panels looking shabby in a year or two.  Anyone have any experience with painting cedar?
Can't help you with with cedar, but I prime EVERYTHING that is painted and goes outdoors with oil based primer (optimally, before assembly), followed by two coats of latex. It's readily available to me in NJ at any good paint store.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I've painted it a few times, and have always used oil based primer...much like Admiral, it's always worked well for me.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
No personal  experience, but I've read that if you use oil based primer you should get one with mildewcide included.  Oil based primers host mildew.

https://www.roddapaint.com/docs/default-...f?sfvrsn=2

An alternative is to paint over the resin molded lattice.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Cedar I painted 12 years ago over latex primer started to peel after about 8 years leaving clean wood.

I painted some about 8 years ago over oil based and still looks like it was painted last week.  I don't think it will peel anytime soon.

I am sticking with oil based going forward until it's outlawed.
(04-24-2019, 03:38 PM)WoodCzech Wrote: Cedar I painted 12 years ago over latex primer started to peel after about 8 years leaving clean wood.

I painted some about 8 years ago over oil based and still looks like it was painted last week.  I don't think it will peel anytime soon.

I am sticking with oil based going forward until it's outlawed.

Thank you gentlemen, oil based primer it is!  I didn't think I could get any easily but have learned otherwise today.  Thanks for the replies!
My house is covered with Western Red Cedar and I use semi-transparent stain on it.

Nothing to peel, just recoat every few years (or when LOML decides she wants a new color 
Rolleyes )
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Sherwin Williams WoodScapes solid color stain would be the product I would use. No priming on raw wood. Best to have it age a bit to dry out and really absorb. Can be tinted any color you need.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(04-24-2019, 10:51 AM)TFM Wrote: I am going to build some framed cedar lattice panels to skirt my pier and beam house, and paint them.   I've read that if you are going to paint cedar that you must prime it with an oil based primer first before painting.  Is this true?  I've also been told recently that is an old way of thinking and that it's hard to even find oil based primer and that todays' water based primer will do the job just fine.  I want to get this right and not have the panels looking shabby in a year or two.  Anyone have any experience with painting cedar?

BTDT on a complete remodel and addition to my house. Those who say oil base primer have it right. First painted the cedar about 12 years ago, using Behr oil based primer and their best outdoor latex as finish coat. Held up as well as could be expected. Had it scraped and painted again 2 years ago, same primer and finish paint brand, i.e. Behr. There will always be maintenance over time with a house with wooden siding - just the nature of the beast.

Doug