bearing question
On my Powermatic 3520B lathe I'm noticing a noise when I have a pen mandrel on it when turning pens.  When I tighten the tailstock enough to turn them I get a noise in the headstock that sounds like the bearings are grinding.  When I loosen the tailstock it runs smooth.  I bought the lathe about 10 years ago new and it hasn't had that many hours on it.  Is it time for new bearings?

Jeff
It's time for the patriots to stand up!
Jeff

I would call Powermatic and tell them what is happening and see what they say, however do NOT buy the bearings from them just get the #'s off the bearings from then and order from a company who makes them.   The company goes by Bearings something or another.

MM knows them and can help you better on that.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
If you find you need new bearings, go here.

http://www.accuratebearing.com/

Call and ask for Lynn.

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
Before you get any bearings do you get the noise all the time using your chuck, live center or with nothing on the lathe? If it’s all the time it might be the bearings. If some of the time the look at what your doing and see if it could be the something else.

There is a shaft key on the top pulley that can move if the set screw loosens. Look up the mustard monster site which is dedicated to the 3520 and there’s a lot of helpful info there.
Don
(04-26-2019, 12:40 PM)MichaelS Wrote: If you find you need new bearings, go here.

Call and ask for Lynn.

Michael

Accurate Bearing is legit.  I sourced new bearings from them when I swapped out the head on my Powermatic jointer.  Brought in the old head, they read the numbers of the old bearings, put a mic on the new head, and then handed me the new ones.
(04-26-2019, 12:40 PM)MichaelS Wrote: If you find you need new bearings, go here.

Call and ask for Lynn.

Michael

Yep that is the one!!
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
An automotive stethoscope will aid in pinpointing the source.  Harbor Freight - $4.

The basic bearing numbers are listed in the manual.  (1) 6206 double rubber seal and (2) 6207 double shield.  Bearing manufacturers use different suffix designations for seals and shields.  The last time I purchased Nachi Bearings from Amazon which were not much cheaper than the local Bearings and Drives prices.  Received a set from PM and they were fairly rough in external appearance so didn't use them.

You might check the bearing preload. page 16 - Checking Spindle Play.

Also run the live center up to the spindle and apply a little pressure to make sure it is not coming from the pen mandrel itself.

Joe
It only makes the noise when I increase the pressure on the tail stock. I’m not over tightening it, just enough to keep the blanks from spinning on the mandrel. The slightest pressure is all it takes. 

Jeff
It's time for the patriots to stand up!
I got premium sealed bearings for my little Jet Mini for a whole lot less than Jet wanted for the standard quality shielded ones. Took the old bearings to a local bearing supplier, and they fixed me right up.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo