Delta Planer 22-580
I have the Delta Planer #22-580 and the current dust collector connector #50-446 plugs up frequently. Has anyone improved this?

Thanks in advance.

CADman
Not on that model, but I had a 22-540, it (as I recall) didn't come with any type of chute. This was the first benchtop Delta offered, and my solution was to get an HVAC boot that was (I think) 4" x 12" with a 5" straight duct connection. It took some finagling to put it on the planer but it did work very well. However, sometimes those clog simply because you don't have enough air flow from whatever is collecting the chips. What do you have hooked up to the planer? If it's just a shop vac, that may be the problem.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(04-25-2019, 10:12 PM)CADman Wrote: I have the Delta Planer #22-580 and the current dust collector connector #50-446 plugs up frequently.  Has anyone improved this?
I also use a heating duct for collecting on my ancient Rockwell-Invicta, and I have found that very sharp blades take wide shavings which don't seem to bend well enough to pull through the center connection.  For softwoods and sharp blades I use an end-ducted version which operates a bit better.  The 50-446 appears to be a compromise.  

Then there is the problem, once again, mainly with softwoods, of static cling.  No solution to that problem other than to keep the humidity in the shop up.  No whitecedar planing in winter at my house.  The plastic in the 446 would likely have the same problem.  Try a spray of anti-static solution, and see what happens.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(04-25-2019, 10:12 PM)CADman Wrote: I have the Delta Planer #22-580 and the current dust collector connector #50-446 plugs up frequently.  Has anyone improved this?

Thanks in advance.

CADman

What are you using as a dust collector and piping to it?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have the same Delta set up. Obviously too big a bite will clog it up. Small shop, so I move my dust collector hose to where it's needed. Found that the weight of the hose connected to adapter sometimes can pull the adapter down a few degrees downwards and it clogs more frequently. If I support the hose so there's no weight on the the adapter it works better.
The plastic dust take off chute has metal at the edge. I bent the metal to open up the space a little, and it helped. I might have needed to bend the metal that locks it in too.
Does it do it with different kinds of woods? Sounds silly, but I have a different planer that I had issues with dust collecting with Silver Maple (I think-it's been a while) It was thoroughly dry, but just caused an issue. It helped when I hooked my separator up right next to the planer.
(04-27-2019, 07:53 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Does it do it with different kinds of woods?  Sounds silly, but I have a different planer that I had issues with dust collecting with Silver Maple (I think-it's been a while)  It was thoroughly dry, but just caused an issue.  It helped when I hooked my separator up right next to the planer.

That's not silly. I had one for a short while and if the swarf was stringly like wet construction lumber it'd plug the center of the factory dust collector. Dry hardwood was fine. It was a good machine but I got the bug for a wide jointer - I had a 6" Bridgewood so sold the Delta planer and Bridgewood jointer and bought a J/P combo machine. I buy rough sawn boards from a sawmill so don't regret the move.