Which way does the gib go?
I discovered the Powermatic mortiser I bought at auction was missing the gib, so I ordered one. One side is flat and the other has a groove from end to end.  My question is which side faces the column and which faces the gib screws. My logic says that the flat side goes to the column but that comes from the same brain that didn't realize the gib was missing until the gib screws scored the column. Would appreciate it if someone in the know could educate me.
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
My best guess, and that is all it is, is that the groove faces the column. That way, the
gib screws have a solid surface to bear against, while at the same time, the column is
contacted in two places ( either 'side' of the groove ).

Or something.

Big Grin
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Well, that's two guesses. Anybody know?
(04-26-2019, 06:28 PM)Papa Jim Wrote: Well, that's two guesses. Anybody know?

Google the parts manual for that machine and take a close look at the blow up of the parts diagram. I myself, would think the gib screws, If they have pointed ends, would seat in the groove.
A blew the parts image up as far as it would go and it's really hard to tell, but I think they are showing the groove facing the gib screws. I went ahead and assembled it that way it seems to make sense. The gib is at a 45 degree angle to the screws and the screws are beveled so they fit in the groove, seems like it works properly so I'm going to go with that until someone who knows for sure tells me otherwise.
(04-26-2019, 08:31 PM)Papa Jim Wrote: A blew the parts image up as far as it would go and it's really hard to tell, but I think they are showing the groove facing the gib screws. I went ahead and assembled it that way it seems to make sense. The gib is at a 45 degree angle to the screws and the screws are beveled so they fit in the groove, seems like it works properly so I'm going to go with that until someone who knows for sure tells me otherwise.

The pointed screws nest in the groove. Most of the time gib is not grooved but have an indentation. Either way the reason is to keep the jib from moving while providing minimum play to the column . The gib screws have to be adjusted periodically. Snug screws , check that every thing moves smoothly but not sloppy. If your machine has nuts on the screws, this is to keep the screws from turning out accidentally. I found that blue Loctite works better. 
mike
(04-27-2019, 02:59 AM)mike4244 Wrote: The pointed screws nest in the groove. Most of the time gib is not grooved but have an indentation. Either way the reason is to keep the jib from moving while providing minimum play to the column . The gib screws have to be adjusted periodically. Snug screws , check that every thing moves smoothly but not sloppy. If your machine has nuts on the screws, this is to keep the screws from turning out accidentally. I found that blue Loctite works better. 
mike

Thanks Mike! I'm just mad at myself that it took scoring of the column before I figured out the gib was missing. Everything is working smoothly now so perhaps I didn't ruin the machine (Powermatic 701)