Which Optivisor
Time to admit I can’t see as well as I used to.
Does anyone use an Optivisor ?
Looked them up and there are different magnifications etc,
Would be used primarily for sharpening and hand tool work.
Looking for any recommendations
Thanks
I have a 10 power I use for fly tying, but that is for very close work, tying the small trout flies.  I have a 4 power I use in the wood shop for most of the close work like seeing the lines for fitting joints and checking fit.  I use that in conjunction with my reading glasses. The one on the armorer's bench is a 3 power.

You can split the difference, covering all the bases. Get like a 3 or 4 power then add the drop down loop that mounts to the side and flips in front of the lenses as needed for really critical checks.

Winkgrin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I use a 4 and 5 for most things so I can have a decent working distance.

I didn't spring for the one with headlamps but if I ever need to replace one, I'll probably get them. Meanwhile, just more light any way possible makes a difference.

Donegan Optical is just up the road in Lenexa, KS. But they really need to work on their web page, certificate has expired and it is really clunky.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I think the drop down loop is more annoying than useful, always seemed to be in the way. I removed mine.
(04-28-2019, 12:30 PM)johndi Wrote: Would be used primarily for sharpening and hand tool work.
Thanks

I use a #4 for almost everything - it's perfect for sharpening.

I also have a #10 that I grab when I need to dig tiny splinters out of my hand but the focal distance is only a couple of inches so it gets little use otherwise.

Mike
(04-28-2019, 12:30 PM)johndi Wrote: Time to admit I can’t see as well as I used to.
Does anyone use an Optivisor ?
Looked them up and there are different magnifications etc,
Would be used primarily for sharpening and hand tool work.
Thanks
You can never have too many...I have five....
Crazy But I need every one of them.
Rolleyes Three different strengths....all Optivisor brand...one is a #10 with a "swing down" auxiliary lens for double the magnification. I have used them for years...and I have had other brands but for me the Optivisor is the Last Word.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks for the replies.
Helps me make up my mind.
(04-29-2019, 11:53 AM)Ohio Mike Wrote: I use a #4 for almost everything - it's perfect for sharpening.

I also have a #10 that I grab when I need to dig tiny splinters out of my hand but the focal distance is only a couple of inches so it gets little use otherwise.

Mike

I also use my 10 for inspecting guns I've broken down for cracks or flaws, or when *LIGHTLY* stoning or smoothing burrs or defects as I have been taught by the department's gunsmith.  For difficult reassembly of small components... Etc.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.