Stanley #2
$40 to flatten

Tom
It was mentioned that parting this plane out would net a decent amount of money.  Recently there was a post in swap and sell for a plane I would like to purchase in the $200 range and I am considering parting with my too small for me to use #2 and putting the funds towards the other plane as I don't have anything in the tool budget at the moment.  Ball park figures, how much would I be looking at for this plane?
(08-12-2019, 07:38 AM)stav Wrote: It was mentioned that parting this plane out would net a decent amount of money.  Recently there was a post in swap and sell for a plane I would like to purchase in the $200 range and I am considering parting with my too small for me to use #2 and putting the funds towards the other plane as I don't have anything in the tool budget at the moment.  Ball park figures, how much would I be looking at for this plane?

I just checked "sold" planes on ebay and found two #2 that had recently sold for $225/$234.00...The "sold" column on Ebay is a good place to look to determine a Ballpark price for any tool...Tools are only worth what a person will pay for them "AT THAT MOMENT"....depending on the number of "lookers", and the more lookers they have, the more likely things will sell for a good price. But it's a good place to start....One thing is for sure...GOOD pictures SELL tools....I don't know why some folks don't understand that.
Crazy Craigs list is a good example of what I am talking about!!!!
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

That would be great. As close to $200 as possible is all I need.
I briefly skimmed through this thread.  You paid $15 . for this plane and you "need" $200 for it?  That's like a go-fund-me plea, not a sale.  You can part it out for well more than you paid.  Be happy with that.
A brand new, bronze Lie-Nielsen No. 2 goes for $275. Were it me, I'd spend the $75 extra for a better plane that will never rust, comes with a lifetime warranty, a thicker blade, and better adjusting mechanism (less backlash).
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(08-12-2019, 12:26 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: I briefly skimmed through this thread.  You paid $15 . for this plane and you "need" $200 for it?  That's like a go-fund-me plea, not a sale.  You can part it out for well more than you paid.  Be happy with that.

In deed I did pay $15 for it.  Apologies if I have offended you in any way.  My response may have been poorly worded, but it was intended to convey that the sale amounts Timberwolf was reporting were above anything that I was considering.  I was only trying to get as close to the sale price of the other item as possible (not a requirement).  My intent was not to start a go fund me for my plane.  Thank you for your interest in my plane though.
(08-12-2019, 01:11 PM)stav Wrote: In deed I did pay $15 for it.  Apologies if I have offended you in any way.  My response may have been poorly worded, but it was intended to convey that the sale amounts Timberwolf was reporting were above anything that I was considering.  I was only trying to get as close to the sale price of the other item as possible (not a requirement).  My intent was not to start a go fund me for my plane.  Thank you for your interest in my plane though.
IMO, it's not wrong to want to get as much for it as you can...what you paid is immaterial, because the "value" is only what someone else is willing to pay..I would hate to count up all the time spent "in the hunt" for tools...and the expenses involved in the search....things like hotels, food, gasoline and wear and tear on the vehicle...no matter what some folks think, it's not ALL "profit"......in most cases, it doesn't come close to covering expenses for some of us...We do it for the "thrill of the hunt"...not "the kill"......
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(08-12-2019, 01:11 PM)stav Wrote: In deed I did pay $15 for it.  Apologies if I have offended you in any way.  My response may have been poorly worded, but it was intended to convey that the sale amounts Timberwolf was reporting were above anything that I was considering.  I was only trying to get as close to the sale price of the other item as possible (not a requirement).  My intent was not to start a go fund me for my plane.  Thank you for your interest in my plane though.
Stav, I just went back and checked the photo of your plane...and IMO the fact that it was broken and repaired degrades the value considerably...especially to a collector....Most folks don't really USE a #2 because it is too small, like a #1....They are more of a "novelty" than a "user'...and if it were mine I would start the auction at about half of the amount I stated previously and see where it goes from there. You may be surprised.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Stav:"As close to $200 as possible is all I need."   

Stav, just pointing out that you went from $15 to $200 in a giant leap, based on some input from well-meaning people.  I need to cut you some slack for inexperience.  At a glance, there is some value in the good parts of that plane.  I doubt that the wood pieces, a frog, a lever cap, and the odd bits would bring $200., but what have you got to lose, other than $15 bucks?    You are well ahead of the game if you can find a few people to take those parts.  Otherwise, not so much.  Spending more money and effort on that plane will not increase its value or usefulness.  If you want to sell, put it up on eBay as the guys said.  Just remember that they will see it just as you did: as a chance to buy low and sell high; so don't be offended when they offer you $50.  Maybe someone here will offer you something.