Stanley #2
I recently found a listing on Craigslist for a plane that only included measurements. There was no type number listed and the owner had no idea what it was. It was something from his fathers tool box that the seller had used some when he was a kid. The size was kind of between a #1 and a #2 so I took a chance and drove the 20 mins to his house for a look. It was dark when I arrived and he was in a gated community so he had to come out to meet me. I looked it over and did not see any broken parts but it was pretty rusty and the lightning was not good. I paid the $15 for it and went on my way. When I got it home in decent lighting I found it was a #2. Ok, so no $1000 resale, but it could still be a decent user. I put it away for another day. Today I decided to clean it up. I found that the front had broken off at some point and was brazed (sp?) back on. It’s pretty good except the front raises a bit (.029 using feeler gauges). Since the plane will never be a show piece, what is the best way to get the sole flattened? Can I sand it down that much without causing damage to the sole? Should I add a hard epoxy to the front part to level it out? Aside from this break, all the parts are in great shape and I would like to be able to use it again.
We need pictures.

To flatten, just stick some sand paper down to a relatively flat surface and get after it.

*Edit - I didn't fully read the question.

That's alot of material to remove. But the only way you'll know is to try it. I've never seen anybody build up the bottom to add material.
Do you want to flatten it so the entire sole is flat (i.e., get the raised part of the sole in the same plane as the rest of the body)? If so, sandpaper on a flat surface will take a long time. And, it's been my experience that hand lapping requires great attention to detail, because it's so easy to make things worse - not better - if you don't maintain even pressure and avoid rocking the plane side-to-side.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-28-2019, 09:18 PM)stav Wrote: I recently found a listing on Craigslist for a plane that only included measurements. There was no type number listed and the owner had no idea what it was. It was something from his fathers tool box that the seller had used some when he was a kid. The size was kind of between a #1 and a #2 so I took a chance and drove the 20 mins to his house for a look. It was dark when I arrived and he was in a gated community so he had to come out to meet me. I looked it over and did not see any broken parts but it was pretty rusty and the lightning was not good. I paid the $15 for it and went on my way. When I got it home in decent lighting I found it was a #2. Ok, so no $1000 resale, but it could still be a decent user. I put it away for another day. Today I decided to clean it up. I found that the front had broken off at some point and was brazed (sp?) back on. It’s pretty good except the front raises a bit (.029 using feeler gauges). Since the plane will never be a show piece, what is the best way to get the sole flattened? Can I sand it down that much without causing damage to the sole? Should I add a hard epoxy to the front part to level it out? Aside from this break, all the parts are in great shape and I would like to be able to use it again.
If you have a stationary belt sander, it can make short work of it...place the sole flat against the belt platen using both hands to steady it, and using a foot switch, turn the sander on, holding the plane steady...just let the plane "float"...don't use any downward pressure...Let the belt do the work...Turn the sander off and wait for the belt to stop turning before moving the plane to look at it.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Here are some pics of the plane in question.  This is all post cleanup.  I forgot to get a raw pic.

The shot showing the bottom of the plane looks like there is still a lot of discoloration on the long side. That was all reflection.  I couldn't get the lighting right with my phone.  The discoloration on the short side is actually there. 

As stated above, I was concerned about the amount of material I would be removing to get the bottom back to flat.  I was lapping it some yesterday.  The base on the long side is flat and clean.  The base on the short side is flat, but it is angled up slightly.  I have this epoxy called PC7 that dries very hard and does not shrink.  I was thinking that rather than taking off so much on the long side, I would add some to the short side and see how things go.

Attached Files Image(s)

I like the story!

As to your question...  I've had fairly poor luck with epoxy build-ups alone.   They just tended to wear off too fast for me.   Perhaps you can adhere some shim-stock?

Chris
Chris
I would look for a donor base.
Just checked eBay. Even broken #2s still go for $75.  I don't know if a donor base would be available at a reasonable cost.  

After sharpening yesterday, it was doing pretty good work. Although it is much to small for my hands for any large planing jobs.
If you part it out (handles, frog, blade assembly) you'll get far more than $75.
(04-29-2019, 12:15 PM)stav Wrote: Just checked eBay. Even broken #2s still go for $75.  I don't know if a donor base would be available at a reasonable cost.  

After sharpening yesterday, it was doing pretty good work. Although it is much to small for my hands for any large planing jobs.

I would estimate the base casting to be about .125" thick...I think you could remove .030" easily without harming the strength very much..Much of the strength is in the sides of the casting anyway...If I were doing the grinding/flattening,, I would leave the blade clamped in place.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset