Embroidery frame build (Final project pic)
    Done. Upper clamp holds the hoops by the hoop clamp boss, It will suffice for use with her smaller hoops(under 10" diameter). The lower support arm/clamp will support the bottom of the larger hoops by clamping to the hoop rim. The bottom arm can be moved out of the way to store. Final cost was about $70(I bought expensive knobs). Still much more sturdy than the ones I saw on line. Actual build time was about 4 hours and R&D was another four hours.

Fitted the final dimensions to LOML as she sat in her chair.

Very cool.................
With a build cost (based on $20.00/hour labor rate) of about $150.00, a manufacturer would have to sell this to the wholesaler at about $195.00 to make a 30% markup.  The wholesaler would take another 30% so the price to the retailer would be $253.50.  

The retailer would take a normal "keystone" markup of 100% and the retail price would be $507.00 + tax.  

I think it would be a tough sell through normal retail channels.  Your wife is lucky that you have the engineering and building capabilities to pull this off.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-13-2019, 07:19 AM)Cooler Wrote: With a build cost (based on $20.00/hour labor rate) of about $150.00, a manufacturer would have to sell this to the wholesaler at about $195.00 to make a 30% markup.  The wholesaler would take another 30% so the price to the retailer would be $253.50.  

The retailer would take a normal "keystone" markup of 100% and the retail price would be $507.00 + tax.  

I think it would be a tough sell through normal retail channels.  Your wife is lucky that you have the engineering and building capabilities to pull this off.

Using your formula, many of the projects done just by WoodNetters would be astronomically expensive.
Big Grin

My engineering is simply looking at existing examples and over building. Building capabilities are in the basement shop where she feels I have yet to reach the cost versus output ratio.
Uhoh
Uhoh She still does not fully appreciate the fact a $500 tool exists simply to make 90° face/edges on a board. And I needed a $400 machine to make parallel faces. She does appreciate the fact I can buy cheaper wood because of those two machines.
Yes